Available sites for self-build and custom housebuilding

What is the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act and who is it for?

The 2015 Act provides a legal definition of self-build and custom housebuilding. It does not distinguish between self-build and custom housebuilding.

Self-build and custom housebuilding are houses built or completed by the following:

  • an individual
  • an association of individuals
  • persons working with or for individuals or associations of individuals

The individual(s) will occupy the house as their main home.

What is a serviced plot of land?

To meet the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding we will provide enough serviced plots of land (in each new base period).

For a useable permission, as defined by the Act, the permission granted must be for ‘a serviced plot of land’. This means a site must have:

  • access to a public highway;
  • connections to electricity, water and wastewater services.

These services have specific circumstances and provision must be within a specific period.

The initial owner of the new home will have a primary input into its final design and layout.

List of available development sites for self-build or custom housebuilding

We have a list of approved planning permissions which meet the criteria for self-build or custom housebuilding plots. The permissions are primarily for single plots. We have divided the list into the respective base periods as follows:

Each base period has two lists. We include barn conversions and permissions for 'change of use to residential development' on the second list (in each base period). These permissions on the second list do not meet the requirements of a ‘serviced plot’. We have provided these to provide a wider range of development opportunities to those seeking to build their own home.

We will update the list on an annual basis in October each year.

How do I use these lists to help me find a site?

The lists include the following types of site:

  • sites commenced implementation or completed
  • sites committed and no longer available for sale
  • sites available for sale
  • sites with a lapsed permission

You can check and confirm the status and availability of each site by contacting the applicant or agent. Search for a planning application

What should I do if a planning permission has lapsed?

If a permission has lapsed and not commenced, a permission on the same site may again be forthcoming if:

  • there has been no material change in circumstances
  • it is still supported by the current Local Plan

A planning officer can provide pre-application planning advice and guidance, there is a fee for this service.