Local land charges search

The Local Land Charges Officers keep and update information affecting land and property within the Eden District. This includes the areas covered by the Lake District National Park and the Yorkshire Dales National Park. See the areas of Eden covered by the National Parks.

What is a Local Authority Search?

A solicitor carries out a search on behalf of people buying land or property. It forms part of the conveyancing process. The required questions give the potential buyer details of any restrictions or legal obligations, enforceable against successive owners by the local authority or other Government departments. We hold information on issues such as planning, building control and environmental health, as well as policy information contained in the Local Development Framework. Cumbria County Council provides us with information regarding Highways and Commons Registration.

Official Local Land Charges Search

The Local Land Charges section carries out all official searches covered by the Local Land Charges Act 1975, guaranteeing comprehensive replies to the official LLC1 and CON29 enquiries.

The Law Society, which regulates solicitors, encourages the use of official searches and considers that alternative personal searches of the statutory register, which may disclose only limited information, should only be undertaken with the approval of the client when time does not permit official searches. You should confirm with your solicitor that an official search has been undertaken and to inspect the Certificate of Official Search.

The search will be in two parts:

  • LLC1 - the Official Certificate of Search. This deals with all the registrable charges, for example, financial charges (registered against the property by the local authority), improvement grants, tree preservation orders, conditional planning consents and agreements.

  • CON29 Required Enquiries of the Local Authority. These enquiries relate to various issues including planning, building regulations, environmental health and highway matters.


How do I get CON 29 and/or CON 29O forms?

For CON 29 and CON 29O forms go to the Law Society website.

What are the charges for CON29?

View updated fees and charges schedule.

Submitting a Local Authority Search

You should submit the following with a Local Authority Search request:

  1. Form LLC1
  2. Form CON 29
  3. A plan, in duplicate, with the search area outlined in red. The plan should be up-to-date, at a scale of 1:2500, and include adjacent highways
  4. Payment: Make cheques payable to Westmorland and Furness Council and post to:
    Westmorland and Furness Council, Town Hall, Corney Place, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7Q
    Alternatively, pay over the phone using the telephone number below.
    Apologies, we are unable to accept online payments until further notice.

Submitting a Local Authority Search electronically

We are currently connected to the NLIS (National Land Information Service) at Level 2. This means search requests can be submitted electronically using one of the licensed NLIS channels. Search replies are also returned electronically.

Find out more about NLIS on their website or you can contact either of the licensed channels below:

Drainage enquiries

Send all drainage enquiries to:

Commons registration searches

Please request response to CON 29O question 22. You should submit this to us. The fee is £35.00 (including £5.83 VAT) if requested with LLC1 or CON29 and £48.00 (including £8.00 VAT) if requested without LLC1 and CON29.

Our commitment to you

Under normal circumstances we aim to return all standard searches within 10 working days. A standard search is one that does not require a reply to any CON29 Part 2 enquiries. An expedited service of 3 working days, where practicable, for a LLC1 search, is available should you require a quicker response, but we are unable to offer this service during busy periods.

Eden District Council Statement of Searches and Income (PDF: 204 Kb / 1 page).

Last updated: Wednesday, 24 April, 2024.