Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

How we investigate problems about dogs

What we can do about a dog problem

Following your report of dog fouling, straying or excessive barking, one of our Community Wardens will contact you to discuss the details of the problem and advise you of what action we can take. Reports are treated confidentially and the details are not given to the owner of the dog. However please be aware that we will not respond to anonymous complaints as a lack of personal details does not allow the us to contact you for further information, or to see if the situation has improved.

Initially an informal approach to the person responsible for the dog is usually made. This could be a visit from one of our Community Wardens or a letter to the owner advising them that a report has been received and recommending that they ensure certain actions are undertaken to remedy the problem.

Our Community Wardens will also usually carry out regular patrols of the area to monitor the situation. You may also be asked to keep a record of any further incidents. This record may be required as evidence if more formal action has to be taken at a later date.

Where excessive barking has been reported, one of the Community Wardens and an Environmental Health Officer will usually make 3 or more visits to assess the extent of the problem and judge whether it represents a statutory nuisance.

What happens when dog barking is a statutory nuisance

If a statutory nuisance is confirmed and the problem persists, then a Notice can be served upon the dog’s owner requiring that the issue be stopped.

There are some occasions where we are unable to take any action, particularly where the problem is intermittent or not judged to be a statutory nuisance.

You will be informed in writing when we have concluded our investigations of the reported issue.