Street naming and numbering

Wef have a legal obligation to allocate house numbers/names and name roads to new properties, developments and property conversions. We have powers to re-name and re-number properties and streets where necessary. We exercise these powers under the provisions of Section 64 of the Town Improvements Clauses Act 1847, with the Extension of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 and sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act 1925.

See our local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) where we keep and maintain a definitive record of all the property addresses and street names in Eden district, we pass this to the National Address Gazetteer (NAG). This is used by the following organisations:

  • Us
  • The Royal Mail
  • All statutory undertakers
  • Emergency services
  • Schools admissions
  • Hospitals
  • Doctors Surgeries
  • Land Registry
  • Ordnance Survey
  • Valuation Office
  • Credit agencies
  • Satellite navigation system suppliers
  • Many private companies for example, dentists, banks, solicitors, insurance companies

Go to find my address to check whether your address is registered with us.

Find your postcode on the Royal Mail website. If your address is registered with us and this is your main permanent residence (not a second home or holiday let) you can check that your address appears on the Royal Mail website.

If you are unable to find your property address following any of the above links, it may be that the property is not officially registered, an address has not been applied for or registration is with a different address. If this is the case, please contact us at the address below where we will look into the issue.

Individuals and developers must not allocate their own house numbers, building, or street names. These will not be officially registered or recognised. You may need to change your informal addressing when we formally address the property/properties. This will cause you unnecessary frustration and possibly expense which we will not meet.

Go to find existing property addresses if you are submitting an application form for a new building name or want to change a building name. Using this link, you can check whether your proposal may be accepted before you submit your application.  You will need to read the street naming and numbering policy to see what will be accepted before choosing a name, there may be occasions where your proposal is rejected as it does not meet the policy. We will not accept a name where it is already in use in full or in part, or with a different suffix and you can use this link to check this.

Why street naming and numbering is important

It is imperative that the Police, emergency services and the public are able to locate properties quickly and efficiently. If a property is not 'registered' through the street naming and numbering process, the address will not appear on the national address database (NLPG/NAG), or the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF). The owner/occupier may encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, deliveries and services from a variety of sources, for example:

  • Locating the property by the emergency services
  • Applying for a credit card
  • Obtaining goods on the internet
  • Selling a property

You cannot apply for service connections by Utilities Companies to a new property, or conversion, until you receive statutory notification of the address from the Street Naming and Numbering department. We allocate all new addresses in line with our Street Naming and Numbering Policy and British Standard 7666 and will issue you with the documents you require once the address allocation process is completed.

Who should apply?

  • Individuals or developers building new houses, apartments, commercial, industrial premises, business parks and residential roads or developments
  • Individuals or developers undertaking conversions of residential, commercial, or industrial premises, which will result in the creation of new properties or premises
  • Any person who wishes to change their existing address

When should you apply?

For any new build or conversion of a property, you should apply to us for address allocation once you receive planning approval, or at least six months before you intend to start work or will need Utilities connections. We will contact Royal Mail. They will allocate the postcode to the approved address. Please be aware that Utility companies will not install services without an official address and postcode and need proof from this department. If your request involves the naming of new streets, this process may take up to 3 months to complete, please allow enough time for us to process your application and contact us at least six months before the addresses are needed for Utilities connections to begin the process. This is due to the consultation process with local Parish Councils. Please refer to our street naming and numbering policy below. This sets out the process.

Street naming and numbering policy

Read the guidance and policy on addressing properties street naming and numbering in Eden (PDF: 701 Kb / 31 pages) for advice on street naming and numbering and choosing a street or property name, or property name change.

Request a paper copy online of the guidance and policy on addressing properties street naming and numbering in Eden if you prefer.

Apply for a new build or property conversion address

Download and complete the street name and number form (PDF: 241 Kb / 7 pages) (Word: 205 Kb / 7 pages) and return it to the address at the end of the form, or telephone 01768 817817, and we will post the form to you. You can visit Mansion House, or the Town Hall, Penrith to pick up an application form.

Request a paper copy online of the street name and number form if you would prefer.

There is no charge for the addressing of new streets, new properties, or conversions of properties that do not have an address.

Apply for an address for an existing merged/divided property

Download and complete the property merge form (PDF: 221Kb / 4 pages), (Word: 154Kb / 4 pages) and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

Download and complete the property division form (PDF: 229Kb / 4 pages) (Word: 856Kb / 4 pages) and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

Alternatively, telephone 01768 817817, and we will post the form to you. You can visit Mansion House, or the Town Hall, Penrith to pick up an application form.

Apply to change a property name

You may apply for a change to the registered name of a property as long as it does not conflict with an existing property or street name in the area or post town. Refer to the Guidance and Policy for advice.

Download and complete the change a property name form (PDF: 210 Kb / 2 pages) (Word: 141 Kb / 2 pages) or and return it, with the correct fee, to the address at the end of the form.

Request a paper copy online of the change a property name form if you would prefer.

If your property has a number, you cannot remove the number. The number must remain and you must display it at the property.

Once we approve an application to change a property name, it is the responsibility of the property owner to inform his or her own personal contacts of any official change or addition to an address. It may take some time for statutory services to amend their records.

Apply to add a name onto a numbered property

We no longer offer this service.

The number of a property is the official address of the property. Any name you use is not part of the official property address and we will not hold it in our address database, or in the National Address Gazetteer. If you use a name for your property, you must continue to display the property number at the property and use only the number in any correspondence, or when you contact us. If you use a name with a numbered property, we cannot identify your property and you may not receive the services you should receive.

What happens if a street needs renaming or renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to re-name or re-number a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • There is confusion over a street name and/or numbering.
  • A group of residents are unhappy with their street name.
  • After building new properties in a street, there is a need for other properties to be re-numbered to accommodate the new properties.
  • The number of named-only properties in a street is causing confusion for visitors and the delivery of emergency services.

Street naming and numbering fees and payments:

New properties fees

Street naming and numbering fees for new properties from 1 April 2022
Naming Cost
New individual property No Charge
New street No Charge
Alterations in either street name, property numbers or plot to postal numbers to new developments after initial street naming and numbering has been undertaken and confirmed to the developer

£150 +£20

per property

Confirmation of postal address £37

Existing properties fees:

Street naming and numbering fees for existing properties from 1 April 2020
Change Cost
Change of house name £54
Change of building name (for example, a block of flats) £54 + £20 per unit
Change of street name (residents' request)

£261 + £49

per property

Street Numbering (residents' request - where no numbering system exists)

£261 + £49

per property

Sub-division of existing property into multiple properties or merge of existing properties into a single property

£54 + £20

per unit

Removal of address following demolition of property where a replacement building is to be built on the land but not on the same footprint (where a property is demolished and re-built elsewhere on the land)

£54 + £20

per unit

Removal of address following planning permission for demolition of the property (where no replacement property is being built or where the customer requires a new name for the new replacement property on the same footprint)

£54 + £20

per unit

Existing property fee payments

Pay a street naming and numbering fee online for an existing property.

Displaying property names or numbers

Displaying property names and numbers helps identify and locate a property. These should be clearly visible, without obstruction from the roadside.

This especially helps the emergency services to find the property, especially at night. Vital time may be saved if the number or name is visible. It also helps any person or delivery company who need to locate the property. It also helps us deliver our services to you.

Make sure that fences or trees aren’t blocking the view of the sign. That signs are noticeable when cars and vans park outside, especially at night. Where you have a property number and use a name, you must display both.

Where we notice that a name or number isn’t displayed we will let you know and ask you to rectify this.

Street nameplates

Read the guidance on street nameplates.

Eden District Council - Celebrating a decade of continuous improvement in national address data - Proud to be a Contributing Authority - geoplace 2011-2021

Last updated: Monday, 25 April, 2022.