Great Salkeld conservation area
Designation of Great Salkeld conservation area
The central part of Great Salkeld village was designated as a conservation area on 17 April 2008.
A revised Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan (see below) was adopted on 16 June 2020.
Description of Great Salkeld
Great Salkeld lies at the base of the western slope of the Eden Valley, protected from the prevailing winds, on fertile agricultural farming land. The sharp Pennine escarpment is clearly visible to the east. The village is strategically situated on one of the old cattle droving routes from Scotland to London near the River Eden, a Special Area of Conservation. Most of the vernacular buildings date from the mid 17th to late 18th century and are constructed of the local red Penrith sandstone. The oldest buildings are clustered around the central village green and St Cuthbert's Church which dates from the 11th century. An uninscribed Roman altar was found in 1890 when digging a grave in the churchyard and is now housed in the porch of the church.
Conservation area character appraisal and management plan
Read the Great Salkeld Character Appraisal (PDF: 2,282Kb / 57 pages)
Map of Great Salkeld conservation area boundary
View the Great Salkeld conservation area boundary on Your Area online mapping.