Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Street parties

What is a street party?

A street party is a social event taking part on a road/street or perhaps two streets. They are usually held to commemorate significant events. Streets are hung with bunting and long trestle tables are set out, to be covered with sandwiches and cakes for the party.

What is a street meet?

A street meet is a very small street party in a cul-de-sac, drive way, front garden, parking area or on private land.

How do I organise a street party or fete?

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. There is plenty of advice to be found on:

Do I need to apply to have the road closed?

Yes, please give us at minimum six week notice if you would like to close a road. For further information and application see road closures. However, if you are organising a street meet you may not always need a road closure notice, please check.

Will you be catering from home?

If you are catering from home you need to follow certain guidelines to ensure you keep food safe see our information on catering from home.

Are you thinking of having a barbecue?

A guide to safe barbecues can be found on the NHS website.

Are you using outside caterers?

If you are using outside caterers you need to ensure that they follow the food hygiene requirements for caterers at outdoor events.

Further information on food safety

See catering for street parties and church fetes, alternatively see the NHS Choices' web page on food safety.

Do I need a licence for entertainment or to sell alcohol?

If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a temporary event notice. Please see the information on organising a small public event.