Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Small public event

Small public events such as fund raisers, discos or cheese and wine tastings for example, with less than 500 people lasting under 168 hours could require a temporary event notice for any licensable activity.

Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice is required if you intend to sell or supply alcohol, provide entertainment or sell food or drink between 11pm and 5am. If you have applied for a temporary event notice you must also consider safety. GOV.UK website has further information on a temporary events notice.

Will you be catering from home?

If you are catering from home you need to follow certain guidelines to ensure you keep food safe see our information on catering from home.

Are you thinking of having a barbecue?

A guide to safe barbecues can be found on the NHS website.

Are you using outside caterers?

If you are using outside caterers you need to ensure that they follow the food hygiene requirements for caterers at outdoor events.

Further information on food safety

The NHS Choices' website has a whole host of information on food safety.

Event safety

When organising the safety for a small event you need to consider the following:

  • Risk assessment
  • Fire safety
  • Electrical installations and lighting
  • Stewards
  • Traffic management
  • Toilets
  • First aid
  • Sound - noise and vibration

Further details are provided in: 
A guide to organising a small public event safely (PDF: 84Kb / 7 pages)

Guidance on running events safely

The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) website has a host of information to help organisers, contractors, health and safety advisers and event workers by providing guidance on running events safely.

Electrical specification for events

For small events as a minimum you must ensure that any electrics are safe and without danger to the public. Plus a Residual Current Device (RCD) may be required for amplified entertainment and any outdoor electrics. Further guidance should be obtained from a competent electrician. To ensure any electrical systems you use at your event are safe you need to follow our electrical specification for events.

Are you using agricultural land?

If you are using land that is normally home to animals you must ensure cattle and other farmed animals are excluded from grazing the land that is to be used for events, for example camping and entertainment (excluding car parking areas) for a minimum of 21 days prior to any access for the event site build until all event activities have ceased. This is to try to minimise the risk of contamination from animal faeces.