Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Event on our land

Can I hold an event on Council land?

Yes, you need to complete an Event Application Form and send it along with any relevant documentation to the Estates Officer via the contact details below.

Where is the land?

We have land throughout the district, for land in your locality please contact the Estates Officer telephone 01768 817817 or email

Who do I apply to?

You need to apply at least 6 weeks prior to the event to the Estates Officer, who will consider all application forms submitted. Each application will be judged on its merits.

Who can apply to hold an event on Council land?

Anyone can apply.

How long before an event should I apply?

We need to know a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the proposed event, ideally as soon as practical.

How much does it cost?

Costs vary according on the size and nature of the event and land used.

What about insurance?

You will need a minimum of £5 million Public Liability Insurance which will provide cover against injury and damage claims. You must also indemnify the Council against all third party liabilities. The Insurance Certificate must be enclosed with the application.

Is there anything else to be considered?

Yes, you may need a premises licence or a temporary event notice, you will also need to undertake a risk assessment, this must be submitted with your application. For specific types of events, for example fairground entertainment, further safety certificates will be required.

Are you using outside caterers?

If you are using outside caterers you need to ensure that they follow the food hygiene requirements for caterers at outdoor events.

Events guidance notes

We have prepared event guidance notes (PDF: 167Kb / 7 pages) with all the information you should need.

Guidance on running events safely

The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) website has a host of information to help organisers, contractors, health and safety advisers and event workers by providing guidance on running events safely