Right to Buy

The Right to Buy scheme is a Government-run scheme. It gives qualifying social tenants in England the right to buy their home at a discount.

Who can buy?

Read Right to Buy: buying your Council home on GOV.UK if you are a secure tenant, a Council tenant before 1997, you may be able to purchase the property you live in.

Who cannot buy?

  • Any tenant who has a service tenancy in connection with their job.
  • Any sheltered housing tenant.
  • Any tenant whose home has been adapted or is particularly suitable for use by the disabled or elderly.

What discount might I receive?

The amount of discount will depend on the length of time you have been a tenant, the type of property you’re buying and the value of the property

See Discounts - Right to Buy: buying your council home on GOV.UK to find out about other factors, which may affect the discount you may receive.

Where are the deeds for right to buy properties?

Housing Association do not keep the title deeds for a property sold under the Right to Buy.

If you have bought your property with a mortgage or loan, your lender will retain the deeds.

Your title deeds are important documents. If you hold the deeds to your property yourself, you should ensure that you keep them in a secure place.

Guidance on right to buy

See Right to Buy: buying your council home on GOV.UK for an overview and information on discounts, applying, your landlord's offer, appeals, delays, selling your home as well as providing help and advice.

See thinking of buying you council flat? on GOV.UK, which provides guidance for tenants considering buying their flat where the freeholder is a council, housing association or other social landlord.

See Your Right to Buy on Own Your Home website to find out if you could be eligible, what discount you might get and whether you can afford to buy – and how to take the next steps if you decide to apply.

Last updated: Wednesday, 24 April, 2024.