Council Tax valuation band reduction for disabled people

The scheme aims to ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax living in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled. Having a disability does not entitle you to a reduction.

Council Tax valuation band reduction property requirements

In summary, the requirements for a reduction are:

  • that the property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. It must have at least one of:
    • an extra bathroom or kitchen;
    • any other room (but not a toilet) mainly used by the disabled person; or
    • enough space for the use of a wheelchair. If the wheelchair is for outdoor use only, this will not count.

The room, or the wheelchair, must also be essential, or of major importance, due to the nature and extent of their disability. 'Disabled person' means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child. They do not have to be responsible for paying Council Tax.

You do not need to have built an extra room. Your home will not qualify for a reduction unless you meet the 'essential', or 'major importance' test. Rearranging rooms is unlikely to make your home eligible for a reduction. As an example, having a bedroom on the ground floor, rather than the first floor.

What Council Tax valuation band reduction may you get?

See the valuation band list. If your home is eligible, it will reduce your bill to that of a property in the next Council Tax band down. For example, a Band D becomes a Band C rate. Even if your property is in Band A, you will still receive a reduction. It will be the same in cash terms as the reductions for homes in Bands B, C, or D.

Apply for a Council Tax valuation band reduction

Complete the Council Tax valuation band reduction for a disabled person form (PDF: 178Kb / 2 pages).

Return your completed form to the address on the form.

Once we receive your application form, we may make an appointment to visit you at your home. You can show our representative your adaptations. After that, we will consider your application. We will write to you and inform you of the decision. We may ask for confirmation from a doctor, occupational therapist, or social worker, that the house needs the adaptations or facilities you have listed. We will let you know when we contact you.

Last updated: Wednesday, 24 April, 2024.