Council Tax discount

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a dwelling. There is a 25% Council Tax reduction for only one adult living in a dwelling as their main home.

Council Tax discount for care leavers

Care leavers will receive the following discounts up to their 25th Birthday:

  • Care leavers who are solely liable to pay Council Tax in their own right will have their bill reduced to nil.
  • Care leavers who are jointly liable to pay Council Tax will have the bill reduced in proportion, 50% (if 2 adults), 33% (3 adults), 25% (4 adults).
  • There will be no discount where the care leaver is not liable to pay Council Tax, except where the care leaver lives in a household where the liable person would be exempt if the care leaver did not live with them. In this case we will apply full discretionary discount.

Council Tax discount uninhabitable properties and vacant dwellings

A 100% discount applies to:

  • an uninhabitable property that requires, or is undergoing, major works to render it habitable, or is undergoing structural alteration. This discount will apply for a period of 12 months, as long as the property remains unoccupied and unfurnished;
  • dwellings which are vacant (unoccupied and unfurnished) for a period of up to 6 months since the property became vacant. This discount will usually be applied to the account without the need for an application to be made.

Council Tax discount for certain occupants

Certain people do not count. They are, in effect, invisible when looking at the number of adult residents in a dwelling if they meet certain conditions:

  • full-time students
    • non-British spouses/dependants of students;
    • student nurses;
    • apprentices; and
    • Youth Training trainees;
  • patients resident in hospital;
  • people who are being looked after in care homes;
  • people who have severe mental health impairment;
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters;
  • 18 year olds and 19 year olds who are at school, or have left school;
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities;
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18 years of age;
  • members of visiting overseas forces and certain international institutions;
  • members of religious communities, for example, monks and nuns;
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine);
  • diplomats and members of international organisations head quartered in the United Kingdom.

There is no discount for second homes and properties which have been vacant for more than 6 months.

How to apply for Council Tax discount

If you think you have an entitlement to a discount, please print and complete one of the following forms:

You can contact the Local Taxation Team at the address below.

Change in circumstances that affect you Council Tax discount

If your bill shows that a discount and your circumstances have changed, you must tell us straight away. If you do not, you could be liable to pay a penalty of £70. If you continue to fail to provide the correct information, you may be liable to pay a further penalty of £280.

Last updated: Thursday, 13 October, 2022.