Food safety regulations
Food business operators have responsibilities under food safety legislation. Most importantly, they must ensure that the food or drink they produce is safe. Every food business will have different risks, depending upon the type of food that is prepared and the way in which it is produced and handled.
Legislation that cover a general food business
The main pieces of legislation that cover a general food business are:
- Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 Hygiene of Foodstuffs
- Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 Hygiene Rules for Food of Animal Origin
- Regulation (EC) No 178/2002 General Food Law
- Regulation (EC) No 2073/2005 Microbiological Criteria of Foodstuffs
- Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013
- Food Safety Act 1990
There are a number of other food safety laws, some of which cover specific products.