Temple Sowerby conservation area
Designation of Temple Sowerby conservation area
The central area of Temple Sowerby village was designated as a conservation area on 20 January 2000.
Description of Temple Sowerby
Temple Sowerby lies on the broad and relatively flat floor of the Eden valley close to the River Eden. The landscape is one of lush green agriculturally improved pastures enclosed by hedgerows and stone walls, with woodland and trees. The area along the A66 consists of some fairly grand buildings facing onto the remains of a once wide green. The central village green area has buildings closely set around a spacious green with mature trees. The buildings in the central area mainly date from the 17th century onwards and are constructed almost exclusively of red sandstone. The name of the village comes from the Danish word 'Saurby' meaning farm or settlement with muddy or poor soil. The manor of 'Soureby' was given to the Knights Templar sometime in the 12th or 13th century and the prefix of Temple was evident in documentation from 1279. The former Manor House, Acorn Bank, dates from at least the late 16th century, but there may be some earlier medieval fabric dating from the times of the Templars.