Designation of Hunsonby conservation area
The central area of Hunsonby village was designated as a conservation area on 1 December 1994.
Description of Hunsonby
Hunsonby lies in the north of Eden valley on fertile farmland with the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty to the east and the River Eden, Special Area of Conservation, to the west. A small cluster of farmsteads and cottages surround a central village green. The buildings are early 17th century or late 18th century made from the local red sandstone. Hunsonby forms a joint settlement with Winskill. In 1934 the civil parish of Hunsonby was formed from a merger of the two parishes of Hunsonby / Winskill and Little Salkeld, which were formed in 1866 out of the ecclesiastical and former civil parish of Addingham. Within the parish are Long Meg and her Daughter's stone circle which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.