Gamblesby conservation area
Designation of Gamblesby conservation area
The central area of Gamblesby village was designated as a conservation area on 1 December 1994.
Description of Gamblesby
The small village of Gamblesby lies in the foothills of the Pennines underneath the Hartside escarpment. It is situated just inside the boundary of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The 18th century red sandstone buildings surround the small central village green. Several of the buildings are listed including the Church of St John, built in 1868 in the late 13th century style. There is a set of stocks on the village green which are probably late 17th century and were reputedly last used to punish someone who had stolen a turnip.
Gamblesby conservation area plan