Historic photographs of Penrith
To buy a copy of the book 'Penrith: A Historical Record in Photographs', please complete the order form for 'Penrith - A Historical Record in Photographs book' (PDF: 26Kb / 1 page)
Devonshire Street, Penrith 1863
Local photographer J Lomax captured this scene in Devonshire Street which was probably taken at the time of the town's celebrations for the marriage of the Prince of Wales with Princess Alexandra of Denmark on 10 March 1863. The words 'Prince of Wales', though faded, can be deciphered on the decorated arch.
Henry Thompson, furnishing and general ironmonger, Market Square, Penrith c1900
A quality hardware shop, Henry Thompson's Ironmongers displays its wares the range and diversity of which is staggering by current standards. Thompson had acquired the business from Nesfield Robinson in 1886 after working for Mr Robinson for twenty-four years. In 1908 Henry Thompson moved to Castlegate and the property was subsequently demolished. The present bank building was erected on the site in 1912/1913.
Welcoming party for the arrival of the Kaiser at Penrith station, 1895
This photograph showing members of Penrith's first Urban District Council was taken near the railway station on 14 August 1895 as they awaited the arrival of Kaiser Wilhelm II en route to Lowther Castle as the guest of Lord Lonsdale. On the left is the Clerk, Mr George Wainwright, with Councillors Thistlethwaite, Fleming, Sweeten, Fairer, Slack, Scott, Ingledew, Altham, Winter and Neville. Two members, Councillors Seatree and Glasson, were not present.
Use of images from the book and the museum's collection
All images are copyright Eden District Council. Terms and conditions regarding their use for commercial purposes or in publications can be obtained by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.