Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Appeal against your council tax banding

Making an appeal against a Council Tax Banding

Appeals are only allowed in certain circumstances. GOV.UK web page Council Tax appeals tells you how to check and challenge your Council Tax band with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

An appeal must be made to:

  • Contact: Listing Officer
  • Address: Valuation Office, Rufus House, Castle Street, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8TJ
  • Telephone: 03000 501501

Making an appeal against liability for Council Tax

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or if we have made a mistake calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify us in writing so that we can reconsider the case.

You must still pay your Council Tax even though you are making an appeal. If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax. If you make an appeal and you are still not satisfied that a proper decision has been reached (or you are not notified of a decision within two months of making your appeal), you can then appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. Details are available on request. Telephone 01768 810067.

For further information: