Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Scrap metal licences

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 repeals the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and Motor Salvage Operators Regulation 2002 and introduces one operating licence. Local Authorities will be the main regulator of this new licence.

Under the Act, we can, for example, refuse a licence or revoke a licence if the dealer is considered 'unsuitable', or is not fulfilling the requirements set out in their application. Together with the Police we have powers to enter and inspect all scrap metal premises in Eden.

Main requirements of the Act

  • Motor Salvage Operators are now included;

  • There is now a requirement for all scrap metal dealers to complete appropriate applications and disclosures and satisfy their local authority that they are genuine traders;

  • All new applicants for the licence and for a licence renewal must now apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate. Applications can be made online through Disclosure Scotland. All named people on the application form must apply and provide us with a certificate; this includes the site manager and director;

    Apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate on

  • All sellers of metal must provide ID at the point of sale which is recorded and retained by the scrap metal dealer. This may be inspected by the Police and Local Authority at any time;

  • Cash must no longer be given as payment for scrap metals. Sellers must be paid by BACS or cheque (or another electronic traceable method). This will now apply to all collectors of scrap metal;

  • There will be two licences available: a site licence or a collector's licence. Please see the table below for the cost of these licences.


Licence Fees
Site licence (3 years) £420
Collector's licence (3 years) £370
Variations to the licence (per variation) £50

Apply for a scrap metal dealers licence

  1. Complete the scrap metal licence application form (PDF: 247Kb / 12 pages).

    or alternatively, to request an application pack, call 01768 212490.

  2. When you return your application please include all Disclosure Certificates as required in the application pack. Please only send originals as we will not accept copies.

  3. Once your application has been approved we will notify you when payment will need to be made. Please do not send cash in the post.

  4. Applicants will be contacted to arrange a meeting with the Community Warden(s). If you are a collector you must come to Mansion House for this meeting. Those applying for a site licence will be visited by the Wardens at their proposed site.

  5. At the meeting the applicants will be asked to provide a form of identification, such as a passport, or photo card driving licence, to confirm their full name, date of birth and address. The Community Wardens will go through the requirements of the legislation and check that the applicant is aware of the law when operating as a Scrap Metal Dealer. At this meeting you will need to produce your original Environment Agency permits, Waste Carrier's Licence and Basic Disclosure certificate. It is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions that you may have.

  6. If a licence is approved we aim to issue it within 5 working days. You must not operate in Eden until you have this licence.

Useful links: