Club premises certificate
Licensing Act 2003
What is a club premises certificate?
A club premises certificate authorises a members' club to carry out licensable activities, that is, the supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment. There is no requirement for a qualifying club to have a Designated Premises Supervisor or personal licence holder.
Definition of a club
A club premises certificate is only for use by qualifying clubs. A number of criteria must be met to be considered a qualifying club. These are:
- that, under the rules of the club, persons may not be admitted to membership, or be admitted as candidates for membership, to any of the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their nomination for membership and their admission;
- that the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club;
- that the club has at least 25 members;
- that alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises otherwise than by or on behalf of the club.
Furthermore, to qualify as a club authorised to supply alcohol to its members and guests, additional conditions must be met. These are:
- the purchase and supply of alcohol by and for the club is managed by a committee made up of elected members of the club all aged over 18 years;
- no arrangements may be made for any person to receive any commission, percentage or similar payment at the expense of the club with reference to purchases of alcohol by the club;
- no arrangements may be made for any person to derive directly or indirectly any monetary benefit from the supply of alcohol to members or guests apart from to benefit the club as a whole or any indirect benefit a person derives by reason of the supply contributing to a general gain for the club as a whole.
Under the Act, the concession under previous legislation which allowed persons under 18 to consume alcohol on club premises has been removed.
How do I apply for a club premises certificate?
We are required by law to maintain a register containing details of various licences issued. This register can be viewed online or can be viewed at the Town Hall, Penrith during normal office hours.
If you notice any apparent error or omission in the register, or if you have any query about it, please contact a member of the Licensing Team.