Food waste digester
What is a food waste digester?
A food waste digester can be filled with biodegradable kitchen waste, such as bones, meat, fish, bread, rice, cake, and food that will break down. Food waste digesters go in the garden the same as compost bins.
Are food waste digesters different to compost bins?
Yes, food waste digesters are better insulated so they get 'hotter', they have better ventilation to improve air flow into the digester to breakdown food more quickly.
What is available through the food waste digester discount scheme?
You can choose from the two food waste digesters, the Green Cone and the Green Johanna.
What is the difference between the digesters?
The Green Johanna is designed to sit in a shady part of the garden. The temperature inside the Johanna will remain higher than the outside temperature. You can put in all cooked and uncooked food waste, including vegetable scraps, meat, fish, bones and dairy produce, as well as a proportion of garden waste. It produces rich compost which can be used in the garden.
For more information go to Great Green System web page on how the Green Johanna works.
- The Green Cone is designed to sit in a sunny position throughout the year on a well-drained garden. The cone needs to be dug into the garden. You can put all cooked and uncooked food waste into the underground digestion chamber. However, it may be necessary to use a little more accelerator powder in significantly cold weather to aid the degradation process. The degradation of the food is below ground level, so the ground also insulates the underground digestion chamber. Nature does the rest, reducing the contents to their natural components of water and carbon dioxide. For more information, go to Great Green System web page on how the Green Cone works.
How much do they cost?
- The Green Cone costs £15. The normal recommended retail price is £79.50.
- The Green Johanna costs £20. The normal recommended retail price is £108.90.
Where can I buy a food waster digester from?
You can purchase a unit directly from Great Green Systems, either:
- Online at Great Green Systems
- Telephone: Freephone on 0800 013 1304
- Post completed food waste digester order form (PDF: 527Kb / 1 page)
Who is the food waste digester discount scheme run by?
It is run by Cumbria County Council, in partnership with Cumbria Strategic Waste Partnership (CSWP), and is funded by the weekly collection support fund from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).
Why can we offer food waste digesters to residents of Eden?
We, along with the districts of Allerdale and Barrow, are able to offer digesters at a greatly reduced price to residents because we kept our weekly (blue bag) refuse collection. The money to subsidise this scheme comes from the Government's Weekly Collection Support Fund.