Public meetings in Melmerby and Ousby for Community Governance Review
Two special public meetings are being held so that residents in Melmerby and Ousby can find out more about the proposed changes to their areas as part of the 2nd stage of Eden District Council’s Community Governance Review.
The Community Governance Review is looking at how Parish Councils and Parish Meetings are run. Parish Council and Parish Meetings are the form of local government that is closest to local communities.
The change being proposed for Melmerby and Ousby are splitting the existing Ousby Parish Council into two separate Parish Councils - ‘Melmerby Parish Council’ and Ousby Parish Council.
The dates of the public meetings are:
- Melmerby – 7.30pm on Tuesday 22 May 2018 at Melmerby Village Hall
- Ousby – 7.30pm on Wednesday 23 May 2018 at Ousby Community Centre
Members of the public are invited to attend to speak with Eden District Council officers about these proposals.
The first phase of the Community Governance Review took place between November and December 2017, when local residents and Eden’s 72 Parish Councils and Meetings were asked for their views about how they could improve the way the parish councils work.
44 Parish Councils and meetings responded to the first phase of consultation with 12 seeking to make changes to their governance arrangements. A Working Group of District Councillors, chaired by Councillor Dougie Banks reviewed their suggestions and a series of recommendations were then agreed by the District Council to take forward for further public consultation.
The District Council is encouraging members of the public who live in areas potentially affected by the Community Governance Review to contact them with any comments.
To Have your say as part of the 2nd stage Eden Community Governance Review before the 31 May 2018 deadline for responses you can either:
- Attend one of the Public Meeting listed on the Council website at www.eden.gov.uk/communitygovernancereview
- Complete the Community governance review second stage response form online at www.eden.gov.uk/communitygovernancereview
- Email: email@example.com
- Or write to: Community Governance Review, Member Services, Eden District Council, Town Hall, Corney Square, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF.