New members of Eden Council’s Executive announced
Two councillors have joined Eden District Council’s Executive. They are Councillor Paula Breen (Penrith Carleton/Conservative) as Resources Portfolio Holder and Councillor John Owen MBE (Shap/Conservative) as Eden Development Portfolio Holder.
Councillor Paula Breen replaces Councillor Gordon Nicolson OBE as Resources Portfolio Holder, Councillor Nicolson stepped down at the Annual Council Meeting on 11 May 2017.
Councillor John Owen MBE takes on a new Portfolio Holder role as Eden Development Portfolio Holder, the responsibilities include:
- Invest in Eden
- Major Projects
- Major Employment Development
- The Local Plan
- Relations with Education providers in Eden District
- Stakeholder relations
- Oversight of Complaints
- Office accommodation delivery and provision
- Relationship with Chamber of Trade
The Council’s Executive now has seven Portfolio Holders:
- Leader – Councillor Kevin Beaty (Skelton/Conservative)
- Resources Portfolio Holder – Councillor Paula Breen (Penrith Carleton/Conservative)
- Services Portfolio Holder – Councillor Adrian Todd (Orton with Tebay/Conservative)
- Housing and Health Portfolio Holder and Deputy Leader – Councillor Lesley Grisedale (Hesket/Conservative)
- Commercial Services Portfolio Holder – Councillor Mike Slee (Askham/Conservative)
- Communities Portfolio Holder – Councillor Elaine Martin (Hesket/Conservative)
- Eden Development Portfolio Holder – Councillor John Owen MBE (Shap/Conservative)
The practice within Eden District Council is for Councillors on the Executive to not serve on Committees, the only exception being the HR and Appeals Committee - which should have two Executive members.
Councillor Paula Breen has stood down as Chairman of the Accounts and Governance Committee, from being a member of the Scrutiny Co-ordinating Board and as a standing deputy for the Human Resources and Appeals Committee.
Councillor John Owen MBE has stood down from being Chairman of the Licensing Committee, from being a member of the Human Resources and Appeals Committee, the Planning Committee and a standing deputy for the Scrutiny Co-ordinating Board.
Full Council will consider the appointments for a new Chairmen for the Accounts and Governance Committee, Human Resources and Appeals Committee and Licensing Committee at its meeting in July.
Councillor Ian Chambers has taken over the role of Leader of the Conservative Group at Eden District Council. This role was previously held by Councillor Michael Slee, the Council’s Commercial Services Portfolio Holder.
The new Members of the Executive will attend their first meeting on Tuesday 6 June 2017 at 6pm at the Tarn Room, Penrith Parish Centre, St Andrew's Place, starting at 6pm. For details of Council meetings visit www.eden.gov.uk or call 01768 817817.