Freedom of information request response - 06792
We wish to seek the following information:
- In relation to hackney vehicles, could you please confirm if your vehicle conditions state that only the Council’s hackney carriage table of fares/tariffs are permitted on the meter?
- If so, please could you send me a copy of the condition(s).
- If you don’t have a condition on the vehicle licence, do have any policy or similar on this matter?
Eden District Council does not have a condition in our Hackney Carriage Vehicle Conditions which specifically states that only the Council’s hackney carriage table of fares/tariffs are permitted on the meter. Where we do refer to the table of fares in our conditions, I have copied the appropriate condition below. Conditions are available on our website
25. A hackney meter shall be fitted and calibrated to the current fare rates. The meter shall be so visible to the passengers. (From our Hackney Carriage/Private Hire testing requirements)
14. The proprietor or driver of a hackney carriage shall be entitled to demand and take for the hire of the carriage the rate of fare prescribed by the following table, the rate or fare being calculated by distance unless the hirer expresses at the commencement of the hiring his desire to engage by time. (From our Hackney Carriage Byelaws including schedule of fares)
8. Interior Markings
The proprietor shall cause to be clearly marked and maintained inside the vehicle in such a position as to be visible at all times to persons conveyed therein:
- the plate number of the vehicle and number of passengers prescribed in the licence;
- a current table of fares and charges;
- a sign in words or picture indicating that passengers should refrain from smoking in the vehicle.
(From our Hackney Carriage Vehicle conditions)