Freedom of information request response - 06079
1. The number of times between 1st April 2018 and 31st March 2019, or the nearest available twelve month period, that private bailiffs/enforcement agents have been instructed to enforce debts to the local authority relating to each of the following;
- Council tax
- Housing Benefit overpayments
- Business Rates
- Commercial Rents
- Any other debt types, including any other overpayments
By “private bailiffs/enforcement agents” we mean those who are self-employed or who work for private companies, including as high court enforcement officers. Please include cases where local authority employees have visited a property to enforce a warrant of control.
2. Do you signpost residents to one or more free debt advice agencies as part of your collections process? (Yes/No) If so, which charities?
3. Have you adopted the Standard Financial Statement (or Common Financial Statement) as a tool for objectively assessing income and expenditure as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
4. Do you have a formal policy in place for dealing with residents in vulnerable circumstances as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)
5. Do you currently have a policy of exempting recipients of Council Tax Support from the use of bailiff action? (Yes/No)
6. Have you adopted the Citizens Advice/Local Government Association Council Tax Protocol? (Yes/No)
- Citizens Advice, Christians Against Poverty.