Freedom of information request response - 05722
- The number of Polling Stations / Polling Places in your council area.
- The number of Polling Station Inspectors appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Presiding Officers appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Poll Clerks appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Counting Assistants appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Senior Counting Assistants/Count Supervisors/Team Leader appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Deputy Returning Officers appointed and their standard fee.
- The number of Postal Vote Opening Clerks (or similar) and their standard fee.
- The number of Postal Vote Opening Supervisors and their standard fee.
- If the previous elections this information has been supplied for were single or multiple elections (EG combined with a parish election or election of a Mayor) and if it was a multiple election how many of the Polling Stations/Places did this apply to if not all in your council area.
- In addition to any standard fee for the items 2-9 any additional fixed fees for training, travel or other items.
Thank you for your request which has been logged under FOI Ref No 05722. However, please note that we will not be treating this as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act, as the Electoral Registration Officer’s role falls outside of the legislation.
The Registration of Electors is governed by the Representation of the People Act 1983 as amended. Under Section 8 of the Act, a council must appoint one of its officers to be the Registration Officer for any constituency or part of a constituency coterminous with or situated within the council's area. Any appointment as Electoral Registration Officer is separate to any other appointment and although appointed by the council, the Electoral Registration Officer's responsibilities and duties are personal. An example of this is that the Register of Electors is deemed to be the property of the Electoral Registration Officer, not the local authority. The Electoral Registration Officer does not carry out the duties on behalf of the local authority but in his own personal capacity.
The Freedom of Information Act does not list any person appointed under the Representation of the People Act 1983. It follows that the Electoral Registration Officer, Returning Officer or any other person appointed under the Act are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.
We publish information about electoral registration on our website. Our elections team can be contacted at email@example.com