Freedom of information request response - 05445
- What is the Local Authority Armed Forces Covenant policy?
- What expenditure and activity has the Local Authority undertaken to meet your policy aims for the Armed Forces Covenant in the last 12 months?
- Has the Local Authority appointed an Armed Forces Covenant Ambassador, and if so their name and contact details?
1. Eden District Council does not have an Armed Forces Covenant Policy but has signed up to the Armed Forces Community Covenant and is a member of the Cumbria Armed Forces Community Covenant Partnership.
2. The Council has just organised a Victoria Cross stone unveiling ceremony and 100th Anniversary Memorial Service on 9 August 2018 in memory of Private Robert Beatham VC who was born in Glassonby, Eden, but emigrated to Australia as a young man and served with the Australia Imperial Force. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions in France on 9 August 1918. Around 80 people attended the event including family members from all over the country and a representative from the Australian Defence Staff, Australian High Commission. The allocated event budget including the costs for the stone plinth was £5,300.
Eden District Council has been working on proposals over the last few months with partner organisations to deliver a pilot Armed Forces Outreach support worker role. A report will be going to Committee to request contributory funding towards the project.
3. Councillor Malcolm Temple is the Council’s Member Armed Forces Champion. His email is Malcolm.email@example.com