Freedom of information request response - 05295
Please send to me any record of evidence which alleges the Department of Defense of the United States of America intended to commit electoral fraud, or did commit electoral fraud, at any of the following referenda and elections:
- June 23rd 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum.
- November 8th 2016 United States of America congressional and presidential election.
- April 16th 2017 Turkish constitutional referendum.
- April 23rd 2017-May 7th 2017 French presidential election.
- May 29th 2017 Irish Fine Gael leadership election.
- June 8th 2017 United Kingdom general election.
- October 15th 2017 Austrian legislative election.
- March 4th 2018 Italian general election.
- May 3rd 2018 United Kingdom local elections.
Thank you for your request which has been logged under FOI Ref No 05295. However, please note that we will not be treating this as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act, as the Electoral Registration Officer’s role falls outside of the legislation.
The Registration of Electors is governed by the Representation of the People Act 1983 as amended. Under Section 8 of the Act, a council must appoint one of its officers to be the Registration Officer for any constituency or part of a constituency coterminous with or situated within the council's area. Any appointment as Electoral Registration Officer is separate to any other appointment and although appointed by the council, the Electoral Registration Officer's responsibilities and duties are personal. An example of this is that the Register of Electors is deemed to be the property of the Electoral Registration Officer, not the local authority. The Electoral Registration Officer does not carry out the duties on behalf of the local authority but in his own personal capacity.
The Freedom of Information Act does not list any person appointed under the Representation of the People Act 1983. It follows that the Electoral Registration Officer, Returning Officer or any other person appointed under the Act are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.
We publish information about electoral registration on our website