Officer delegated decisions
The Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations came into force on the 5 August 2014. The Regulations require officers to produce written records of decisions that they make.
The principal provisions relating to the recording of decisions by officers are:
A decision-making officer must produce a written record of any decision that falls within what is paragraph 7(2) of the Regulations. Paragraph 7(2) provides a decision that falls within this paragraph if the relevant local government body or committee would otherwise have taken it, but delegates it to an officer of that body either:
- Under a specific express authorisation; or
- Under a general authorisation to officers to take such decisions and the effect of the decision is to:
- Grant a permission or licence;
- Affect the rights of an individual; or
- Award a contract or incur expenditure that materially affects our financial position.
We have identified the express delegations to all officers.
Our Constitution, Part 1 to Part 3 (PDF: 870 Kb/109 pages), under Part 3, Schedule 1, Delegation of Council Functions to Council Officers includes the express delegations. The delegations are to:
- The Chief Executive;
- The Deputy Chief Executive;
- The Director of Finance;
- The Deputy Director Technical Services; and
- The Assistant Director Environmental Services.
Our Register of Officer Delegated Decisions records all decisions made by one of the officers above.