Protocol for using Council land

We regularly receive requests from members of the public, private organisations, charitable bodies and others to use land owned by us under licence for a variety of activities and events. We will not grant licences to use land for bonfires and firework displays under any circumstances because of the risk and associated dangers to both the public and the land itself.

Typical requests considered include:

  • Use of land for supervised sporting events, sports coaching
  • Use of land for entertainment, fun days
  • The temporary siting of builder's and contractor's compounds for cabins and materials
  • The undertaking of exploratory work such as trial pits, boreholes or ground contamination testing
  • Grazing of animals
  • Traditional leases for industrial units, play area sites, parking bays and so on.

Request to use council land

A third party can make a formal request in writing to the Estates Officer on the contact details below.

Read the protocol for the use of land in our ownership (PDF: 150Kb / 5 pages), which outlines the information you that must supply before we grant permission. This information enables us to meet our own legal responsibilities to ensure such events are properly organised and controlled. Make your request at the earliest opportunity. Reviews are concluded at least 4 weeks in advance of the proposed event.

Last updated: Monday, 19 August, 2019.