Build your Home, Build your Community event
In partnership with Andy Lloyd (National Community Land Trust Network), we held a free self-build, custom-build and community-led housing event (for prospective self-builders and community builders) on Thursday 4 July 2019 at the Rheged Centre, Redhills, Penrith.
The event comprised over 20 exhibitors and 10 presenters with Charlie Luxton, presenter of Building the Dream, Homes by the Sea and Homes by the Med (More 4) being our keynote speaker.
Video overviews of the event and speakers’ presentation videos and slides can be found below:
- An introduction to self-build and community-led housing by Charlie Luxton (49 seconds)
- A brief overview video of the event (3 minutes)
- An informative overview video of the event (13.02 minutes)
Our presenters included:
- Councillor Virginia Taylor, Leader of Eden District Council
View the presentation video (6.37 minutes)
- Charlie Luxton, architectural designer, writer and TV presenter
- Fran Richardson, ACT Cumbria and Lancaster Community-led Housing Hub
View the presentation video (7.12 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 1.44Mb)
- Bruce Armstrong-Payne, local self-builder and Planning Consultant
View the presentation video (11.11 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 7Mb)
- Anna Hope, Ecomotive
View the presentation video (15.35 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 6Mb)
- Jon Lee, Ecology Building Society
View the presentation video (11.33 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 1Mb)
- Kevin Hutchinson, Planning Policy Manager, Eden District Council
View the presentation video (10.11 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 4.4Mb)
- Charles Ainger, Lancaster Forgebank Co-housing
View the presentation video (13.45 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 2.55Mb)
- Maddy Teasdale, Patterdale Community Land Trust / Eden Housing Association partnership
Read the presentation speech by Maddy Teasdale (PDF: 567Kb)
View the presentation video (9.51 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 487Kb)
- Rod Hughes from 2030 Architects
View the presentation video (11.13 minutes)
View the presentation slides (PDF: 3.86Mb)
- 2030 Architects
- ACT Cumbria and Lancaster Community-led Housing Hub
- Andy Lloyd, National Community Land Trust Network Technical Advisor
- Angela Doran - self-build enabler at Glasgow City Council
- Cumbria Action for Sustainability
- Daniel Addis - self-builder and Addis Town Planning
- David Allison - self-builder
- Derwent Forest - self-build development in Broughton, Cockermouth
- Ecological Building Systems
- Ecology Building Society
- Eden District Council - Officers from Planning, Building Control and Community-led Housing
- Green Footsteps
- Hyde Harrington
- John Richardson & Sons
- Manning Elliott
- Penrith Building Society
- Space Design Solutions
- Thomas Armstrong - kit systems
- Unity Trust Bank
Andy Lloyd is a community housing adviser to the National Community Land Trust Network. He provides technical support to communities and local authorities in the Penrith area, helping to deliver community owned affordable housing projects, such as:
- Lyvennet Community Trust in Crosby Ravensworth
- Keswick Community Housing Trust
- Lune Valley Community Land Trust in Halton, Lancashire
Andy helped us to create an event where people could hear from professionals, companies and individuals to help them plan their own exciting projects.
Community-led housing includes self-build, co-housing, co-operative housing, self-help housing and community land trusts (CLTs). This housing enables communities to become active players in their own sustainable development.
We are required to maintain a Self-build and Custom-build Housing Register of people looking for land in our area on which to build their own homes.
Sponsors for the event
The event was very kindly sponsored by the following companies
As part of the Thomas Armstrong Group of Companies, the Timber Division has a strong presence in the house building sector; supplying bespoke Structural Timber Frames, Roof Truss Packages and Metal Web Floor Joists/Cassettes.
The Company designs and supplies engineered timber solutions to a wide variety of client, from self-builders through to the larger blue chip construction and house building companies.
Ecological Building Systems
Ecological Building Systems, based near Carlisle, have been providing airtight and windtight building products and high performing natural insulations for over a decade. It is committed to supporting organisations, and self-builders to reduce carbon emissions by promoting a ‘fabric first’ approach to building design with free in-depth technical support, championing the use of more natural materials to optimise building performance and durability.
Its wide range of ecological systems enables it to offer low energy and Passivhaus solutions for all scenarios, whether it be new build or retrofit.
PFK have a track record of success in the north west region dating back to 1876. Its business encompasses six regional offices and professional teams of surveyors, land agents, planners, lettings managers, valuers and marketers.
PFK is able to offer advice and assistance to self-build schemes, bringing together expertise from planners, land agents, surveyors and estate agents. It is able to offer a complete service to those seeking to develop self-build plots or those landowners seeking to provide self-build opportunities. It is also involved with community groups, who are actively involved in the provision of community-led housing, typically through Community Land Trusts, these schemes often include self-build opportunities.
Unity Trust Bank
Unity Trust Bank is a commercial bank with a social conscience. It provides day-to-day banking, deposit services and commercial loans and mortgages to businesses and organisations that share its values.
It believes in delivering positive social impact, not simply maximising profit. Its purpose is to help organisations to prosper and contribute to economic, community and environmental change.
SSQ Natural Slate
SSQ Natural Slate is a specialist supplier of natural slate products, providing slate roofing solutions to the building and construction industry.
Its slates are backed by reputable guarantees, as well as a 40-year track record of proven performance. Its flagship products Del Carmen® natural roofing slate and Riverstone® Phyllite have been sold exclusively by SSQ, offering consistent supply, traceability, strong branding and comprehensive technical support.