Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Planning in the Yorkshire Dales National Park extension

How will the extension to the National Park affect planning?

On 1 August 2016, the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority became the local planning authority for the National Park extension area. That means that they will be responsible for:

  • determining all planning applications;
  • listed buildings planning applications;
  • work to protected trees;
  • preparing future Local Plans, so setting future local planning policy; and
  • enforcing against breaches of planning.

View the area of Eden in the extension to the Yorkshire Dales National Park (PDF: 1.43Mb / 1 page)

How will this affect planning applications submitted before 1 August 2016?

Any applications that were not determined by 1 August 2016 were transferred to the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority to deal with, still in accordance with the existing local planning policies. Planning officers at the National Park Authority work closely with their colleagues at the three current planning authorities bordering their area, Eden District Council, South Lakeland District Council, or Lancaster City Council, to ensure that transferred applications were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Will local planning policies change after 1 August 2016?

The existing Local Plans adopted by us, South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council will remain in place for the respective areas. Those same Local Plans will still be used by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority to make decisions on any planning applications after 1 August 2016. The only material change is that, in applying the existing policies, the Authority will also have to take into account what the National Planning Policy Framework says about development in National Parks. National Parks have the highest status of protection in relation to landscape and scenic beauty and the Government expects greater weight to be given to these issues in making planning decisions. This will make some difference to the way that some decisions are made, but it is not possible to prescribe every circumstance. Further information on how different types of development should be treated in National Parks can be found on the online National Planning Practice Guidance.

Will the Yorkshire Dales National Park Local Plan apply to the extension area?

No. The Authority's Local Plan for the existing National Park has been in development for several years and has been subject to extensive local consultation, but only within the existing National Park boundary. At some future point the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority may want to create a single Local Plan for the area covered by the National Park and the extension, but this will not be for several years.

What about the Eden Local Plan 2014 to 2032?

The Eden Local Plan 2014 to 2032, has been submitted for examination by the Planning Inspectorate. If found to be 'sound', it is hoped that the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority will be able to adopt the Local Plan for the parts of Eden that will be in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Are there other policies that affect how decisions are made?

In determining applications, the Planning Authority must take into account a number of other existing local plans, waste and mineral plans and others such as neighbourhood plans.

Are permitted development rights affected in the extension area?

Some types of development do not require planning permission. These 'permitted development' rights allow changes to be made to homes, offices and shops without always needing to submit a full application. National planning policy removes permitted development rights for some types of development in National Parks. So, for example, the following will require full planning permission:

  • household extensions (up to 8 metres long), cladding the exterior of a house, or putting up a side extension, a two storey rear extension or extensions to the roof,
  • large garden buildings that are more than 20 metres from the house or are to the side of the house,
  • converting farm buildings, warehouses or retail premises into dwellings,
  • significant extensions to farm buildings which is already required in all Eden,
  • extensions to industrial, retail and office buildings - these are limited by scale, height, and the materials that can be used,
  • wind turbines,
  • and large arrays of solar panels on non-domestic buildings where the panels would face a road.

To find out more about permitted development rights see the Planning Portal, do you need planning permission?. Advice is available for a fee, see permitted development enquiry service on the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority website.

What if I've had an application approved under the permitted development rights that will no longer apply on 1 August 2016, but I haven't yet completed the work?

Legally, the rights disappear on 1 August 2016. If the work has not been completed, the approval may be at risk. However, all the planning authorities want to see a sensible approach taken to dealing with such cases, so that people are not unfairly penalised. The Government has signalled its intention to make legal provisions that will allow a reasonable period of time for work approved under certain permitted development rights to be completed. Please contact the National Park Authority's planning service for advice on whether your already approved application is affected by the change.

Will planning applications be more expensive in the Yorkshire Dales National Park?

No. Planning application fees are set nationally and are the same for every planning authority. The National Park Authority does charge for providing pre-application advice on some types of development, but these charges are in line with what the current planning authorities are charging.

Will it take longer to get an application determined?

No. All local planning authorities are expected to meet Government targets for timeliness in dealing with planning applications, determining at least 80% of routine applications within eight weeks (or a longer timescale agreed with the applicant). The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority has met that target in each of the last five years and is committed to continuing to do so.

Who do I go to for advice about submitting a planning application?

Anyone wanting to make a planning application should seek pre-application planning advice from the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority website.

For further information:

  • Contact: Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0300 456 0030
  • Address: Yorkshire Dales National Park, Yoredale, Bainbridge, Leyburn, North Yorkshire DL8 3E