Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Pre-application planning advice for householders

Pre-application planning advice

The Local Government Act 2003 gives Local Planning Authorities powers to recover the costs of pre-application advice in recognition of the time officers have to spend researching information in order to provide answers to prospective developers or applicants. Quite often such proposals do not proceed which leads to delays in providing responses for those proposals that are likely to go forward.

In recognition of the above, and in common with other local authorities elsewhere, we have decided to introduce charges (see below) in order to provide a more sustainable but effective service to applicants.

The service encourages anyone wanting to carry out development to talk with the local planning authority to obtain informal guidance in advance of submitting a formal application. Any advice offered on the prospect of planning permission is informal officer opinion only and cannot bind the authority in the event of a formal application.

Pre-application planning advice benefits:

  • Confirmation as to whether planning permission is required
  • A planning history of a particular site
  • Gives you a clear understanding of current planning policies and other planning issues that may affect your proposals
  • Could save you the cost of submitting a full application if your proposal is likely to be refused
  • An indication of whether your proposals are supported by planning policy.

Pre-application planning advice householder developments

Since 1 March 2012 there is a charge for Pre-application Planning Advice for Householders, this service will provide an informal officer opinion on the proposed extension/alteration. For more information on this service please see when do I need planning permission?

Forms and Fees


Pre-application planning advice in the National Parks

Lake District National Park

For advice before you make a planning application in the Lake District National Park, please read 'do I need planning permission?' on the Lake District National Park Authority's website.

Alternatively, write to:
Development Management Support Team, Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Oxenholme Road, Kendal LA9 7RL.

Yorkshire Dales National Park

For a pre-application advice service on your development proposal before you submit a planning application, please see the information provided by the planning advice service on the Yorkshire Dales National Park website.

Major applications - planning performance agreements (PPA)

If a proposal is large and complex we operate a Development Team approach where a meeting can be arranged so that all of the relevant officers can be present. Planning Performance Agreements (PPA) are seen by the Government as a means of speeding up the delivery of large scale applications, and applicants submitting major planning applications within Eden will be expected to enter into a Planning Performance Agreement with the Council. More details can be found in our PPA Charter and a template is also available below:

Things to consider when making a planning application

Every application requires different information to be provided in order for the planning officer to make an assessment and decision on the proposal. Here are some useful points to bear in mind when considering making an application:


Your neighbours' planning applications are publicised and so your neighbours are likely to be notified of any application you submit. Approach your neighbours prior to submitting an application and identify any areas of concern they may have. This may avoid difficulties and delays later in the planning process. Check to see if there are any applications near you in the postcode property search.

Design and access

Different styles suit different properties and locations. For guidance on the design of development see the Eden Design Summary (PDF: 140Kb / 25 pages).

For guidance on how to design the correct access route and produce an appropriate accompanying statement see Design and Access Statements (PDF: 120 Kb / 4 pages)


You should make sure that the intensity and direction of any light fittings do not disturb others and that security lights with passive infra-red detectors or timing devices are not triggered by passing traffic or pedestrians.

Listed buildings

Some buildings are listed because of their special architectural or historic interest and alterations to these structures may require listed building consent. Read listed buildings and the information on listed buildings on Historic England's website.


Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) protect some trees, also protected are trees in conservation areas.

Conservation areas

Conservation areas are designated where it is considered desirable to preserve or enhance the character of the area. They have added protection against poor or inappropriate development and certain works may require Conservation Area consent. We are responsible for designated Conservation Areas. For a list of all designated areas in the district, see the Conservation Areas list.

Protected species

Certain species, such as bats and barn owls, are protected by law and so their presence must be ascertained before development commences on a site. Read the information on 'protected sites and species' by Natural England on GOV.UK website.

Planning policies

Local, regional and national planning policy will determine the way your application will be considered, to find out more go to planning policy for Eden.


The Highways Department of Cumbria County Council examines the effect of a proposal on highway capacity issues, design and suitability of junction and highway layouts, and parking and service delivery arrangements. For further information, please contact Capita Symonds, Cumbria Highways, Skirsgill Highways Depot, Skirsgill, Penrith CA10 2BQ, or telephone the highways hotline on 0300 303 2992.


Development on floodplains is strictly controlled. See information planning applications: assessing flood risk on Environment Agency on GOV.UK website.

Contaminated land

The historic and current land uses can have a significant impact on development, see information on land contamination issues and planning.

Shopfront and advertisement design

The Shopfront and Advertisement Design Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) sets out guidance for the design of shopfronts and advertisements across the whole of Eden District, except for areas inside the Lake District National Park. We use this document to determine planning applications. For information, read the Shopfront and Advertisement Design SPD (PDF 1.48Mb / 33 pages).

Contact development management

If you have any further queries about planning, there is always a Duty Officer available between 10am and 1pm Monday to Friday.

If you wish to contact a specific officer, see contact development management.