Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Planning advice FAQs

This page contains answers to the most frequently asked questions received by Planning Services.

Do I need planning permission?

Determining the need for planning permission, or other consents, can be complicated. If you are in any doubt you should contact Development Management who will provide guidance. Telephone 01768 817817, or email

You do not always need planning permission. It is not required, generally speaking, for changes to the inside of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside, such as the installation of telephone connections and alarm boxes. If your building is listed, you may require Listed Building Consent and should contact the Planning Services Team using the details above.

Other small changes, for example, putting up walls and fences below a certain height, have a general planning permission for which a specific application is not required. There are interactive guides to answer whether you need planning permission, on the Planning Portal.

Householders who wish to make extensions or alterations to their property, or erect a building within the boundaries of their house, are advised to complete and return a householder preliminary enquiry form (PDF 139 Kb / 6 pages). Development Management will research the site and assess the details provided and will write to you formally advising whether the development requires planning permission. There is a charge for this service.

How do I submit a planning application?

If you have determined that your development requires planning permission, you should complete the appropriate forms and submit those with your plans and the correct fee to Development Management at Mansion House, Penrith CA11 7YG.  For more information, and to apply online, go to how to apply on the Planning Portal.

How long will it take before I receive a decision?

Our target is to determine minor applications within 8 weeks of validation, and major applications within 13 weeks of validation. This is not always possible for a variety of reasons.

Can I view details of an application online and track the progress of an application? How do I do this?

Planning applications are available online on the planning application register. Please select the 'Search' option. To view details of a planning application. Please enter a detail, or details, in the boxes and click on the "Search" button. The online help facility is available if you require any assistance.

Do I need a design and access statement?

From 10 August 2006, some planning applications will require the submission of a Design and Access Statement before the application can be validated. For further details, please see our Design and Access Statement (PDF:120Kb / 4 Pages) guidance notes, or contact Development Management.

How do I know if my property is within a conservation area, area of outstanding natural beauty, or site of special scientific interest?

The Eden Local Development Framework Interactive Map contains this information. Find the property using the Address Finder. Select your property from the list in the pop up box, and this will provide you with details of Conservation Areas and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Please note you should check the map to ensure that your property is shown in the correct location on the map. If you are still unsure if your property falls within one of these areas, please contact Development Management: Tel 01768 817817, or email

How do I know if a building is listed?

For confirmation if a building is listed, please contact Development Management

How do I report a suspected breach of the planning regulations?

Contact the Enforcement Team on 01768 817817, who will investigate your complaint. Or write to:

For further details, please see our planning control breaches section.

Please be assured that all complaints are handled in strict confidence.