Dangerous structures

Building Control’s prime concern in all aspects of their work is public safety. Any dangerous buildings is obviously a cause for concerns.

Buildings become dangerous for a number of reasons, including neglect, combined with age, vehicle impact; fire damage or badly carried out alterations.

Where a building is in such a condition that it may pose a threat to the safety of any people in and around the area, we have the legal powers to investigate and make it safe.

We do not consider buildings, which are simply run down or dilapidated dangerous. Minor items, such as damage to timber fencing panels are unlikely to mean a building is dangerous.

We attend any reported incidents, or danger, as soon as possible, with three possible courses of action carried out:

  1. If the reported structure, in our professional opinion, is not dangerous, then we will take no further action.

  2. If we consider that a possible, but not immediate danger exists, we will contact the owner and serve a Dangerous Buildings Notice. This will set out the time when the owner must make the building/structure safe

  3. If we consider the structure is in imminent danger of collapse, or part has already collapsed, the Building Control Officer will try to contact the owner of the building or structure to require their urgent action in removing the danger.

    If the owner is unavailable, unable or unwilling to arrange for the removal of any danger, our officer will arrange for a contractor to undertake the minimum work necessary to remove the danger.

    Until we can find a more permanent solution barriers or fencing will often be put up is to keep people away from the dangerous area. We will confirm all actions taken in writing and, if known, advise the owner of the likely cost involved.

Where the danger is such that a building becomes uninhabitable, we can arrange for a Housing Officer to contact you regarding temporary accommodation.

Charges for this service

There will be no charge for the advice or guidance given by the Building Control Officer. However, where it is necessary to use a contractor to deal with the danger, payment of their charges will be the responsibility of the owner of the building or structure.

Report a dangerous structure

Contact Building Control to report a dangerous structure, if you notice a building, in Eden district, which you think may be dangerous. It would help us if you can supply us with all the information about the building or structure and its location.

Last updated: Wednesday, 24 April, 2024.