Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme operates throughout the UK. The scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems, who have difficulty using public transport.

See Blue Badge scheme on the Cumbria County Council website.

Can I get a blue badge?

Read qualifying for a Blue Badge on GOV.UK to find out who automatically qualifies for a Blue Badge, and information about people who may also be eligible.

Apply for a Blue Badge

Apply for a Blue Badge online on the Cumbria County Council website. You will need a digital photo, national insurance number and proof of identity, address, benefits and debit card.

Request a paper copy of Cumbria County Council Blue Badge form.

In Eden, Blue Badge holders may park:

  • Free of charge for up to 24 hours in a 'pay and display' car park in a designated disabled or standard parking bay. Some car parks may have a time restriction in a standard bay. This excludes Princes Street car park in Penrith, where 2 hours parking is maximum stay for all users. Blue Badge holders must also display a clock disc when parking in Princes Street.

  • In certain areas on-street, see the information which came with your Blue Badge to find our where. When you park check the parking signs, as there are time limits on some on-street parking areas. In these parking areas you must display a clock disc.

  • On single or double yellow lines for up to three hours. (Except where there is a ban on loading and unloading, or where emergency services need access).

Blue Badge holders are not permitted to park in on-street loading bays. Plates on the kerb side of the road show the restrictions in force.

Using your Blue Badge

You must display Blue Badge on the vehicle dashboard, with the wheelchair user symbol and expiry date clearly visible.

When required, display your clock disc on the vehicle dashboard.

Apply for a disabled parking bay

Any Blue Badge holder with their own car, who receives a Personal Independence Payment may be eligible for marked disabled parking bay on the street where the live or work.

Apply for a disabled parking bay on the Cumbria County Council website.

Enforcement of the Blue Badge scheme

Police officers, local authority parking attendants and civil enforcement officers can inspect Blue Badges upon request.