Housing queries and complaints

The aim of this page is to ensure that comprehensive housing and public health advice is delivered to all residents and property owners in the district, as well as making sure public health and housing statutes are complied with where appropriate.

Complaint about a housing association property

Any complaint about a property managed by a housing association should be made first to the housing association.

I have query about my rented property being a health risk

If you have a query regarding defective drains, infestations, filthy premises, nuisance premises and properties with excess rubbish, please:

  • Contact: Environmental Protection Team
  • Email: env.health@eden.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 01768 212 490
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG

I have query about the quality of my rented property

However, if you have a query about the structure, level of amenities and general suitability of individual premises, you should:

  • Contact: The Housing Team
  • Email: housing.services@eden.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 01768 212 490
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG

What can the housing team do?

Housing team enforce housing standards for private rented housing and can provide help for improving properties.

Last updated: Tuesday, 5 October, 2021.