Deposit guarantee scheme
What is the Eden Deposit Guarantee Scheme?
It is a scheme that provides the Landlord with a deposit (up to one month’s rent) for them to place in a Government Deposit Scheme, and rent in advance.
Who can apply?
To be considered for the Scheme you must:
- Be homeless or threatened with homelessness;
- Be single/or a couple with or without dependents;
- Have a local connection to Eden;
- Be on a low income or in receipt of, or entitled to claim:
- Income support,
- Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- or Universal Credit.
- Be capable of managing a tenancy and must understand the responsibility of being a tenant.
The deposit guarantee scheme covers
- The guarantee will cover an amount up to the value of one month’s rent
- Any loss or damage to the property caused by the tenant. The landlord and tenant agree how the tenancy deposit should be returned, in full or in part.
- Any rent arrears related to the current tenancy. The landlord must provide the tenant with receipts for all rental payments (the tenant must keep them safe), and supply evidence to the Government’s Guarantee Scheme to show non-payment of rent.
The deposit guarantee scheme does not cover
- Normal wear and tear;
- Items that would otherwise be covered by household insurance;
- Rent payments, and applicants need to be able to pay the rent themselves or make a Housing Benefit claim. In some cases, the Housing Benefit may not cover all of the rent, and in these cases, the tenant will have to pay the shortfall.
Anything else I need to know?
- A financial assessment will be carried out to check that the applicant is eligible;
- If there is a dispute regarding damages or rent arrears, the Deposit Guarantee Scheme administrators return any undisputed amount to Eden Housing Association, but hold the disputed portion until the Alternative Dispute Resolution Service or Courts decide what is fair. If the rent arrears and damages to the property amount to more than one month’s rent and deposit, the landlord would need to take direct action against the tenant to claim these costs;
- Eden Housing Association does not make any recommendation about the suitability of a tenant;
- The Scheme is only available for those renting self-contained accommodation;
Apply to the deposit guarantee scheme
To apply, please complete the form below, or contact Eden Housing Association.