Who can apply for a grant?
Landlords who are accredited under the Cumbria Landlord Accreditation Scheme can apply for a grant if they rent out a property within Eden District.
Why introduce the Cumbria Landlord Accreditation Scheme Grant?
The introduction of the Cumbria Landlord Accreditation grant under the Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002 is to assist responsible landlords to carry out improvements to properties that will benefit their tenants.
What is the amount of the grant?
The maximum amount of grant payable under the Scheme is £1,000. This applies to properties with Eden District Council.
Which work to a property does the grant cover?
Landlords can apply for a grant of up to £1,000 for either:
- Improvements to the energy efficiency of the property for example: increased loft insulation, costs towards an energy efficient boiler, cavity wall insulation and so on. Discount schemes for these installations may be available locally; or
- An upgrade of the existing fire alarm system or improvements to the means of escape in case of fire. This may include recommendations made by the Local Fire Officer.
What are the grant conditions?
Landlords must let their properties for three years following the completion of any grant works and provide evidence of letting the property. If the landlord fails to do so, we may demand all or partial repayment of the full amount together with compound interest on that amount.
A Landlord may apply for up to three grants for individual properties in any three year period. A landlord may also only receive three grants in three years.
Please Note: Work started prior to receiving a Certificate of Approval will not be eligible.
When will the grant be paid?
We must be satisfied that the works have been properly completed before paying the grant. However, the contract for work remains between the applicant and the contractor. We do not have any liability in any contract between the grant applicant and the builder carrying out the works. It is for the client to ensure that the contract is undertaken to his satisfaction.
How do I apply for a grant?
All applications must be submitted on the Accredited Landlords Grant application form (PDF: 154Kb / 5 pages) together with:
- Certificate of Future Occupation (PDF: 93Kb / 2 pages)
- Proof of ownership of the rented property
- Two competitive estimates