Pay Apply Report

Warm Homes Eden

Warm homes Eden is an energy efficiency scheme, which aims to help people who may find it difficult to heat their homes. So if you:

  • struggle to pay your energy bills,
  • are forced to choose between either heating your home or feeding your family,
  • have a low income and a chronic health condition affected by living in a cold home,
  • and do not have insulation or central heating system in your home, which does not meet minimum energy efficiency levels.

If you answered 'yes' to any of the questions above, you could get help from Cumbria Action for Sustainability (CAfS), who run Warm Homes Eden for our Affordable Warmth Partnership. The team at CAfS offer free impartial energy efficiency advice on things like fuel switching and draught proofing. They can check you are on the best energy tariff for your needs and help you understand your energy bills. They can also help you access Electricity North West’s Priority Service Register and your energy provider's Warm Homes Discount, as long as you are eligible.

If you receive a Department for Work and Pensions benefit, and you are unsure about your eligibility, you can ask your energy provider, or any energy provider, for an assessment of your energy needs.

Energy efficiency advice surgeries and events

The CAfS team will also offer free, impartial, energy efficiency advice at a series of surgeries and advice events, organised and promoted by us, in village halls and other community venues across the district. We will invite Eden residents with a chronic health issue, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, and who are vulnerable to the effects of living in cold homes, to attend their nearest surgery or advice event. We will send invitations in consultation with GP surgeries and the Affordable Warmth Partnership. If you consider yourself in need, but are unable to attend a surgery, or advice event, we may offer you a home visit to assess your energy needs instead.

Provision of household energy efficiency measures

Under the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Regulations 2019-2022, councils have the flexibility to set their own eligibility criteria for the provision of household energy efficiency measures (known as ECO Flex) and aimed at those households most likely to be in fuel poverty. Energy companies can spend up to a maximum of 25% of their full obligation within these criteria. Councils must publish a 'Statement of Intent' that defines who is eligible for funding before this can happen.

View Eden’s 'Statement of Intent' (PDF 877Kb / 10 Pages)

Assessing eligibility to access ECO Flex

CAfS can assess your eligibility to access ECO Flex within Eden district. Our aim is to provide a platform to encourage energy companies, through their authorised installers, to maximise their involvement in the scheme and to help as many fuel-poor households within Eden as possible. To qualify, you must first meet the eligibility criteria set out in our 'Statement of Intent'. Meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that your household will benefit from energy saving improvements. The energy company makes the final decision on funding. It will depend upon:

  • A survey carried out by the energy company, or their authorised installer, including a calculation of installation costs.
  • The energy savings achievable for your property.
  • Whether the company has already achieved its ECO targets, or requires further measures to meet their ECO targets.

Download the customer verification for ECO Flex application form A (PDF: 133Kb / 3 pages).

Download the health verification for ECO Flex application form B (PDF: 23Kb / 1 page). The householder and the health / social care professional will both need to complete separate parts on this form.

View the 'Warm Homes Eden' advice leaflet (PDF: 355Kb / 16 Pages) for more information and tips.

Contact CAfS on the details below to get a Warm Homes Eden assessment.

Energy saving and safety advice

Read the 'safety in your home' advice on the Cumbria County Council website, from the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service.

Find an energy assessor on GOV.UK to assess your home for a energy performance certificate.

Read 'Help and Advice' on the Gas Safe Register website for gas safety advice.

Join the 'Priority Service Register for people in need' on the Ofgem website to register your priority need for gas and electricity. The service is free.

Find out about the 'Warm Home Discount Scheme' on GOV.UK for a one-off discount from your electricity bill.

Claim 'Winter Fuel Payment' on GOV.UK to help you pay your heating bills.

Claim 'Cold Weather Payment' on GOV.UK after the weather is very cold for at least 7 days.

Helpful information on debt with water and energy bills at

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback