Set up a direct debit or standing order
Setting up a Direct Debit Online
To set up an online Direct Debit you will need your:
- Council Tax reference number (9 digits long)
- The name(s) of the bank account holder(s)
- The bank account number
- The bank sort code
Set up a Direct Debit (opens in a new window)
Once you have confirmed the Direct Debit you will receive written confirmation that the Direct Debit has been set up, this will include the dates and amounts of the payments to be collected from your bank account.
Direct Debit application form
To complete the form you will need the same information as for setting up a Direct Debit online.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
- If the amounts to be paid, or the payment dates change, we will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited, or as otherwise agreed.
- If an error is made by us, or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.
Standing Order form
If you don’t use Internet or Telephone banking you can complete a form to take to your bank. You will need the same information as for setting up a Direct Debit online.