We have been given extra funding to provide support through a discretionary scheme to vulnerable households. The qualifying criteria is shown below:
The discretionary funding will be split into two parts.
Part 1 will support households who on 1 April 2022 are council taxpayers or energy bill payers and who meet the following criteria:
- Households in Council Tax Bands E to H who are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction Scheme Discount.
- Households in all Council Tax Bands who are in receipt of a Disabled Band Reduction
- Households in all Council Tax Bands who are in receipt of a Severely mentally impaired (SMI) exemption or disregard
- Households in all Council Tax Bands who are in receipt of a Carer discount/disregard
- Households in receipt of Housing Benefit but are not liable for Council Tax.
The amounts available under Part 1 are shown in the table below:
|Households in receipt of council tax reduction scheme discount||n/a||£150|
|Households in receipt of a disabled band reduction||£250||£250|
|Households in receipt of a severely mentally impaired (SMI) exemption or disregard||£150||£150|
|Households in receipt of a carer discount/disregard||£150||£150|
|Households in receipt of housing benefit but not liable for council tax||£150||£150|
Note that households will only receive one of the payments. Where they are eligible for more than one criteria, they will receive the larger payment.
We have identified the households that are eligible under Part 1 and are contacting them directly. Where an eligible person has a direct debit in place to pay council tax or has provided these details for the main energy rebate scheme, the Council has used these details to make a direct payment to the person’s bank account. These payments will be made on 24 October 2022. Where the Council holds no bank details, the person will be contacted and asked to provide details of their bank account electronically through the Council’s website. If you have received a letter asking you to do this please apply using the discretionary energy rebate application.
Households in receipt of housing benefit but not liable for council tax should complete the energy rebate adhoc application below.
Part 2 of the scheme will support households who were not eligible under the above criteria on 1 April 2022 but became eligible between 2 April 2022 and 30 June 2022.
The amount available under this pot will be the balance after Part 1 has been allocated. The amount available to each household will be a maximum of the amount available under Part 1 and, in the event that the balance is not sufficient to cover this, will be spread evenly between applicants.
If you are a housing benefit recipient or applying under Part 2 please apply using the energy rebate adhoc application.
For those households who do not have electronic access, our customer services team will be available to submit an application on their behalf.
The following will not be considered eligible for discretionary funding:
- Occupants of properties in exemption Class O (Armed Forces Accommodation) where the Ministry of Defence will provide cost of living support
- Occupants of properties in exemption Class M (Student Halls of Residence)
- Second Homes
- Unoccupied Properties
- Any council tax payer or energy bill payer that does not have their primary residence in the property
Applications will be open until 18 November 2022 and we will pay all discretionary rebates by the deadline of 30 November 2022.