Pay Apply Report

Council tax reduction - rights of appeal

Is your Council Tax Reduction correct?

The local Council Tax Reduction Scheme is there to help you pay your Council Tax. We want to be sure that your reduction in Council Tax is the full amount you are entitled to. You may have extra information that we did not take into account when we worked out your entitlement. We may have made a mistake. We want to know and make sure your account is correct.

How we work out Council Tax Reduction

The rules are complicated. You can ask us how your entitlement is calculated. Even if you do not qualify, you can ask for a detailed explanation of why not.

Do you disagree with our Council Tax Reduction decision?

  • Do you disagree with the information we have used?
  • Do you think that we were wrong to say that you did not qualify?
  • Do you disagree with the amount of non-dependant deductions?
  • Do you think we should backdate your application? That is, should we apply a reduction from an earlier date?

You should write and ask us to look again at our decision. You must give your reasons as fully as possible. Please do this as soon as possible. We can check the decision and then write to you again.

Appealing against our Council Tax Reduction decision

You must make your appeal in writing. You must state the reasons why you disagree with the decision. You should provide as much information as you can. Please include any supporting documents. Send your appeal as soon as possible so that we can review your entitlement. We will consider the appeal. We will write to you within two months to notify you of the outcome. If you still disagree, or if we do not write to you within two months, you may appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal:

CTR Team, Valuation Tribunal Service, 3rd Floor, Crossgate House, Wood Street, Doncaster DN1 3LL

Our independent Appeals Officer deals with most appeals. A tribunal will review your case externally if there is no agreement. If you are required to attend a tribunal, the Valuation Tribunal will contact you directly. The officer will tell you the date, time and place of the hearing.

Challenge our Council Tax Reduction decision

If you think we got it wrong, do not be afraid to challenge our decision. The appeal process will not cost you anything.

All councils are responsible for administering a local Council Tax Reduction Scheme. Each scheme is different. Just because you are entitled to a different amount to your last address, it does not mean it that the calculation is incorrect.

What you can do about our Council Tax Reduction decision

  • You can ask us for information about how we made the decision affecting you.
  • If you are unhappy with any decision affecting you, you have the right of appeal.
  • If we cannot amend the decision, you have the right to an independent tribunal.
  • You need to write to us as soon as possible so that we can start the process of checking your entitlement.
  • You can make an appeal.

Appeal against a Council Tax and Housing Benefit decision online

Independent advice on Council Tax

Citizens' Advice Carlisle and Eden offer money, debt, budgeting and benefit advice.

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Web page feedback