Backdating your Council Tax Reduction
How do you qualify for backdating of you Council Tax Reduction?
If you have reached the qualifying age to claim State Pension Credit your entitlement can be backdated to a maximum of 3 months from the date you make your claim. You do not have to apply for backdating, but you may have to supply details of your income and capital for the period concerned. In all other cases your entitlement can only be backdated for a maximum of 26 weeks from the date of your backdating request.
In order for an application to be backdated we must be satisfied that:
- you have shown good cause for failing to apply earlier; and
- that good cause existed continuously during the period for which backdating is being requested.
You will need to show continuous good cause for not claiming earlier and we must be satisfied that your circumstances during this time were such that any reasonable person of your age and experience would also have failed to apply for a reduction. You have to prove good cause, but we must take account of all the facts of your case.
Some examples of when you may have good cause are:
- you did not immediately apply for a reduction after leaving hospital;
- you were ill and had no-one to make an application on your behalf;
- you did not understand that you could apply for a reduction perhaps because of age, inexperience or language difficulties;
- you have suffered a recent family bereavement;
Make an application to backdate your Council Tax Reduction
What happens when an application to backdate Council Tax Reduction is made?
Your application will be considered by the Benefits Team. The more information and evidence you give in support of your claim the quicker a decision can be made. Sometimes it may be necessary to write to you for more information, or to ask you to come in for an informal interview. Your application will be looked at within 21 days and you will be sent a letter telling you of our decision. If we have decided that you have not shown good cause and that we cannot backdate your application, the reasons for this will be explained in our letter. You will then have the right of appeal against our decision not to backdate your application. For details of how to appeal see appeal against a Council Tax reduction decision web page.