Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Appeal against a council tax reduction decision

What are my rights of appeal against a Council Tax Reduction decision?

Getting your entitlement right

The local Council Tax Reduction Scheme is there to help you pay your Council Tax. We want to be sure that your Council Tax account has been reduced by the full amount you are entitled to. You may have extra information that we did not take into account when we worked out your entitlement or we may have made a mistake. We want to know and make sure your account is correct.

How is my reduction worked out?

The rules are complicated and cannot be explained here, but you can ask us at any time about how your entitlement is calculated. Even if you do not qualify for a reduction, you can still ask for a detailed explanation of why not.

Not happy with the decision made about your Council Tax Reduction?

For example:

  • Do you disagree with the information we have used?
  • Do you think that we were wrong to say that you did not qualify?
  • Do you disagree with the amount of non-dependant deductions?
  • Do you think that we should back-date your application?
    (that is, should we apply a reduction from an earlier date?)

then you should write and ask us to look again at our decision giving your reasons as fully as possible. You should do this as soon as possible after getting our decision so that we can check the decision, then write to you again.

Still unhappy with the decision made about your Council Tax Reduction?

Appeals must be in writing and state the reasons why you disagree with the decision that has been made. You should provide as much information as you can and include any supporting documents. The written appeal should be sent as soon as possible so that your entitlement can be reviewed. We will consider the appeal and will write to you within two months to notify you of the outcome of the appeal. If you still disagree with the decision, or if we do not write to you within two months, you may appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal:

CTR Team, VTS, Hepworth House, 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster DN1 1PN

Most appeals are dealt with by our independent Appeals Officer. Occasionally, where an agreement cannot be reached, cases will need to go to tribunal and be heard externally. If you are required to attend a tribunal, the Valuation Tribunal will contact you directly to tell you the date, time and place of their hearing.

It is your right to challenge a decision

If you think we have got it wrong, do not be afraid to challenge our decision. The appeal process will not cost you anything.

All councils are responsible for administering a local Council Tax Reduction Scheme, and each scheme is different, so remember, just because you are entitled to a different amount to your last address, it does not mean it has been incorrectly calculated.

In brief:

  • You can ask us for information about how any decision affecting you was made.
  • If you are unhappy with any decision affecting you, you have the right of appeal.
  • If the decision cannot be amended by us, you have the right to be heard by an independent tribunal.
  • You need to write to us as soon as you can so that we can start the process of checking your entitlement.
  • You can make an appeal by completing a Council Tax and Housing Benefit online appeal form