Alternative council tax reduction

What alternative is there to Council Tax Reduction?

See 'Alternative to Council Tax Reduction' (PDF: 134Kb / 4 pages). This is sometimes called 'Second Adult Rebate'. We calculate this by a different method to the main Council Tax Reduction Scheme. We base this on the income of the second adult who is resident in the property.

The claimant must be the person liable to pay Council Tax. The claimant would have been awarded single occupier discount but for the other second adult living in the property. We cannot grant a Second Adult Rebate if the claimant has a partner residing in the property. That is unless the partner is disregarded for Council Tax. This can be, for example, if the partner is a full-time student.

If you pay Council Tax and share your home with one or more persons over the age of 18 they:

  • are not paying you rent for living in your home
  • do not have to pay Council Tax
  • are not your spouse or partner
  • have a low gross income

you can claim Second Adult Rebate in respect of them.

You will need to complete and return one of our application forms. Please provide documentary proof. You need to show gross income details of other adults who live with you. You do not have to supply us with details of your own income and/or savings. We will do a calculation to see if you are entitled to a reduction under the main Scheme.

Once the calculation for main Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate have been made, we will compare the amounts. We will award you the greater entitlement. You are not entitled to receive both.

Second Adult Rebate is calculated using combined gross income of second adults living in the property. It is awarded on a percentage basis of your Council Tax Bill.

Any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker's Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance, or
  • Disability Living Allowance

we will ignore when we work out the second adult's gross income.

If you qualify for Second Adult Rebate, we will reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%, 15% or 7.5%. This depends on the second adult's income. If their income is too high, you will not qualify. You may still qualify for a Council Tax Reduction under the main scheme.

Last updated: Friday, 30 September, 2022.