Council tax, benefits and financial support

Council tax support

The Chancellor announced in the Budget on 11 March and later on 17 March, a range of measures related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). This package of measures is intended to provide support for public services, individuals and businesses to ensure the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) is minimised. It includes additional funding of £500 million (nationwide) for Council Tax relief through existing Local Council Tax Support schemes. We do not have the details of how this money will be allocated, yet. However, for more information on council tax support see our council tax web pages.

It is not within our powers to suspend Council tax collection. This could only be authorised by national government.

We have a statutory responsibility to collect Council Tax to fund key local services, from adult social care and children’s services, to refuse collections and leisure facilities. A proportion of the final bill also funds the police.

It should be remembered that all of these agencies are involved in the current response to the Coronavirus outbreak and have vital roles to play in supporting our communities, keeping vital services such as public health and waste collections operating as well as administering the business support grants and funding announced by government.

We understand that this is a difficult time for everyone, and we will offer as much help as we can to local residents. Here's some information and advice:

  • You may be able to reduce the amount you pay on your council tax.

    Find out more about applying for a Council Tax Reduction.

  • Council Tax is normally divided over 10 months from April until January. We can divide your yearly charge over 12 months to lower the monthly instalment, to help if you are struggling with your payments. We can also offer weekly and fortnightly arrangements if this is easier.

  • If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, please get in touch. You may able to claim Council Tax Reduction, this could be up to 100%.

    See council tax reduction
    to find out more.

  • Please don’t defer payments if you can still manage to pay your Council Tax. If you do, it may result in you having to pay a higher charge at the end of the financial year if further instalments cannot be paid.
    Any residents who are struggling or worried about their council tax position can find out about the support available.

    Please contact us on the details below.

Housing benefit

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit. Find out more about applying for Housing Benefit.

Universal credit

If you’re employed, please check with your employer to see if you will receive 80% of your wage or if you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from the government. If you are not eligible for SSP - for example if you are self-employed, or earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week - and you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can make a claim for Universal Credit, or new style Employment and Support Allowance.

Apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Contact the Customer Service Team on the details below.