Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus. The NHS, Government, Cumbria County Council and ourselves produced the information linked to below to help you, through the current coronavirus pandemic.

NHS and medical guidance and help

Coronavirus vaccination

Find out what to expect after your COVID-19 vaccination on GOV.UK. Although you may get some protection from the first dose, having the second dose will give you the best protection against the virus.

Read the COVID-19 vaccination: guide for older adults on GOV.UK.

See Immunisation on GOV.UK for further information on COVID-19 vaccinations.

Coronavirus tests

Find out how to get a free NHS test today to check if you have coronavirus on GOV.UK.

Register for an antibody test kit to check if you've had coronavirus before on GOV.UK. An antibody test is a blood test to check if you’ve had coronavirus (COVID-19) before. You can register for an invite to get a test kit. The antibody test is a home test kit sent to you in the post.

Find out about the testing sites in Cumbria on NHS website, which is available to anybody with COVID-19 symptoms in Cumbria.

Medical guidance

Find out about Reducing transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) - what you can do to help on GOV.UK.

Read the COVID-19: advice for smokers and vapers on GOV.UK on the current evidence of the increased risk of developing the disease if you are a smoker.

See coronavirus COVID-19 on the NHS website to get the latest NHS information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

Find out about testing and tracing for coronavirus on the NHS website. NHS information about testing for coronavirus and what to do if you're contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service.

Read about online health and prescription services on the NHS website for anyone registered with a GP surgery.

What to do if someone dies

Find out what to do when someone dies during the COVID-19 pandemic on GOV.UK. Government guidance, you may find useful if you have lost someone during the COVID-19 pandemic. The information is applies to deaths from COVID-19 and deaths from other causes.

See bereavement advice and support during coronavirus COVID-19 on the NHS website for anyone who has lost someone.

Telephone 0800 2600 400 the NHS bereavement helpline for guidance and support if someone you know has died.

Government guidance and restrictions

National lockdown

Read about the National lockdown: Stay at Home on GOV.UK to find out what you can and cannot do.

Shielding clinically extremely vulnerable people

Guidance on shielding and protecting people who are clinically extremely vulnerable from COVID-19 on GOV.UK.

See COVID-19: guidance for young people on shielding and protecting people most likely to become unwell if they catch coronavirus on GOV.UK.

See Get coronavirus support as a clinically extremely vulnerable person on GOV.UK.


See Coronavirus: How to help safely on GOV.UK guidance for volunteers.

Pets and animals

See the Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice for people in England with animals on GOV.UK.

Staying alert and safe (social distancing)

Read Coronavirus (COVID-19): Social Distancing on GOV.UK. A Government announcement on a series of tough new enforcement measures targeting the most serious breaches of social distancing restrictions.

See New National Restrictions on GOV.UK. Information on the new national restrictions, including what they mean for working from home and business closures, why they are being introduced and the financial support available.

Staying safe outside your home

Find out how about staying safe outside your home on GOV.UK as customers, visitors, employees or employers need to make changes to lower the risk of transmission of Coronavirus.

See Meeting people from outside your household on GOV.UK. Government guidance on how you can see people that you do not live with while protecting yourself and others from coronavirus (COVID-19).

Outdoor sport and recreation

See guidance on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England on GOV.UK as the government increases people’s access to outdoor physical activity for the purpose of health and well-being.

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice on accessing green spaces safely on GOV.UK for advice on using green spaces and protecting yourself and others from coronavirus.

Transport and travel guidance

Find out about the Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors on GOV.UK. Government guidance on exemption changes for self-isolation on the 14 July 2020.

Face coverings: when to wear one and how to make your own on GOV.UK.

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): transport and travel guidance on GOV.UK. Government information for people using transport or working in the transport sector during the coronavirus outbreak.

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer travel guidance for passengers on GOV.UK. Government guidance on walking, cycling, and travelling in vehicles or on public transport during the coronavirus outbreak.

See travel advice: coronavirus (COVID-19) on GOV.UK. Government guidance for British people travelling overseas during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

See self-isolating after returning to the UK: your employment rights on GOV.UK. Government guidance for employees and employers on self-isolating after returning to the UK.

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): requirements to provide public health information to passengers travelling to England on GOV.UK. Government information on the regulations for travellers entering England so they are aware of the public health advice and related duties for entering and staying within England.

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): travellers exempt from border rules in the UK on GOV.UK. Government guidance on following the same rules as people who live in the UK, even if you’re exempt from self-isolating for 14 days after you arrive.


Check if you can get Tax-Free Childcare and 30 hours free childcare during coronavirus (COVID-19) on GOV.UK. Find out about temporary changes that may affect you if you're applying for, or already getting, Tax-Free Childcare or 30 hours free childcare.

Read What parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on GOV.UK.

Stay at home: guidance for households with possible COVID-19

See Stay at home: guidance for households with possible coronavirus COVID-19 on GOV.UK. The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of a new continuous cough and/or high temperature.

Read Coronavirus (COVID-19): Accessing food and essential supplies on GOV.UK. Government guidance on how to get food and other essential supplies during the coronavirus pandemic for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable or self isolating.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): getting tested

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): getting tested on GOV.UK for guidance on coronavirus testing, including who is eligible for a test, how to get tested and the different types of test available.

Read Guidance for contacts of people with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection who do not live with the person on GOV.UK. Government guidance for people who have been notified by NHS Test and Trace that they are a contact of a person who has had a positive test result for COVID-19. 

See Coronavirus (COVID-19): antibody tests on GOV.UK. The government announces the start of a major new national antibody testing programme, with plans to provide antibody tests to NHS and care staff in England from the end of May.

Number of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases

See the number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and risk in the UK on GOV.UK and find what to do if you have symptoms, and what the government is doing about the virus.

Frequently asked questions on what you can and can't do

Read the Coronavirus outbreak FAQs about what you can and can't do on GOV.UK, updated to show the restrictions which are still in place.

Moving home

Read the Government advice on home moving during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on GOV.UK. This Government guidance applies to people moving between private residential homes.

Cumbria County Council guidance, advice and service changes

See Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest information on the Cumbria County Council website for information on schools and nurseries.

Eden District Council service changes

Keep up to date with any service changes

Follow us @EdenCouncil on Twitter and/ or Follow us @EdenDistrictCouncil on Facebook or on this website so we can notify you of any changes to our services.

Use online and telephone services

Use the pay, apply and report links to online forms at the top of this page.

Telephone 01768 817817 to speak with a customer service advisor.

While our Town Hall and Mansion House offices in Penrith temporarily closed.

Council tax, benefits and financial support

See council tax, benefits and financial support to find out if you are entitled to council tax reduction or discount, housing benefit or universal credit.

Choosing an alternate way to pay your council tax may help you to budget.

What we are doing to prevent the spread of Coronavirus

Like many organisations, we have put in place our business resilience plan to protect our staff and customers and to ensure essential services continue to run. We are constantly reviewing the situation and may announce further changes in response to guidance from the Government and Public Health England.

Read our action plan statement dated 18 March, 2020 about accessing council services and working practices, implementing business rates holiday and business grants.

Preparing household waste for collection

Households where there is a confirmed, or suspected COVID-19 infection, should:

  1. Place all waste in a peddle bin liner or other rubbish bag and tie or knot the top of the bag when full.
  2. Place pedal bin liners or other rubbish bag in blue refuse bag, so waste is double bagged, and tie blue refuse bag in a double knot.
  3. Store full tied blue refuse bags in a secure location and mark for storage for at least 72 hours.
  4. After 72 hours the double knotted blue refuse bags can go out on your next collection day.

Waste should be stored safely and kept away from children. You should not put your waste in communal waste areas until negative test results are known, or the waste has been stored for at least 72 hours.

If a test for suspected COVID-19 is negative, waste can be treated in the normal way.

Contact Customer Services on the details below, if storage for at least 72 hours is not appropriate or possible. Customer Services will be able to advise you on how to arrange a Category B infectious waste collection by a specialist clinical waste contractor.

Our waste collection contractors will not collect waste placed in untied bin bags. Please ensure all waste is put out in tied bin bags.

See bins and recycling for the latest on refuse and recycling collections.