Recycle centre materials
- Aluminium foil must go into special foil banks and not into the can banks.
- Clean foil before recycling.
- Foil milk bottle tops, tops of cartons, baking and freezer trays, kitchen foil, cigarette and tobacco foil (without the backing paper) can all go into the special foil banks.
Please do not place metallised plastic, such as crisp packets or tea bag packets into the Foil Banks.
Aluminium foil is recycled into engine parts by Novelis, Birmingham.
- All drinks cans and food tins can go in together (aluminium and steel).
- Please wash out food tins, but you don't need to remove the labels if you don't want to.
Steel and aluminium cans are sorted using a magnet. The cans are melted down in a furnace and the finished ingots are rolled into thin sheets, which are then made into brand new cans and tins.
Cans are recycled into new aluminium and steel cans at Rochdale.
- Glass bottles and jars only please.
- Please wash out jars and remove bottle tops and corks.
- There is no need to remove labels as these are burnt off in the furnace.
- Bottles with a coloured coating can be recycled, as this will be burnt off in the furnace. To find out the original colour of the bottle, check the top where the cap was.
Please do not put in any Pyrex, milk bottles, plate glass, ceramics or light bulbs.
Glass is recycled into new bottles and jars by Norpol, Ellesmere Port.
Paper and card
All types of paper and card can go into the paper banks, including: newspapers, magazines, envelopes, junk mail, telephone directories, yellow pages, catalogues, old greetings cards, cardboard, card packaging (for example: cereal packets).
Please remove any polystyrene, plastic inserts or wrappers first.
Please do not put cartons in with paper and card. We have never recycled cartons, a private contractor provided this service. However, for commercial reasons, this has now ceased.
Paper and card is recycled into new paper products in China.
- Plastic bottles of all kinds and plastic containers, trays, and so on, can go in the 'plastic bottle' bank.
- Please try to wash and squash your plastic first.
- Please remove bottle tops first and put them in the 'plastic bottle' compartment too.
- Please do not put polystyrene, plastic bags/wrapping in the bank.
Please remember to wash and squash!
Plastics are recycled into a variety of different products, including garden and street furniture and drain pipes.
Plastics are recycled into a variety of plastic products in Swinton and Manchester.
- You can place any clean, dry clothing, footwear and household textiles into a clothing and shoe bank.
- Please put items into plastic carrier bags before placing in the textile banks (all plastic bags will be recycled).
- Tie pairs of shoes together.
- Rags can go in the textile banks, but please put them into separate bags and clearly label them 'rags'.
PLEASE do not put in any pillows, duvets, cushions, wellington boots, odd shoes or dirty, wet. or stained clothes. These items are not recyclable.
Please remove all coat hangers before placing items in the Textiles Bank.
Textiles are recycled by being worn again.
Can't find the item you want to recycle above?
If you can't see the item you want to recycle above, please see A to Z of waste.
- Be considerate to nearby residents and use the recycling banks during daylight hours.
- Help to keep recycle centres clean and tidy. Take empty bags home with you where they can be disposed of properly.
- Try to combine trips to the recycle centre with other journeys, such as going shopping, or to school. This way the environmental impact of the journey is kept to a minimum.