Eden District Council
Search our Site

Anti-Social Behaviour and Criminal Damage

Although North Cumbria has seen a consistent decline in anti-social behaviour over the past two years it remains our top priority. This task group aims to contribute to a high quality of life for all across both urban and rural communities, creating an environment where people can feel secure and live without the fear or threat of crime and disorder. This will be achieved through a range of interventions, based on the key elements of prevention, education and enforcement and is displayed in the task group action plan at the bottom of this page.

Anti-Social Behaviour

The Government describe anti-social behaviour as "intimidating or threatening activity that scares you or damages your quality of life. "Most anti-social behaviour can be allocated to one of these three categories: street problems, nuisance neighbours and environmental crime.

These categories cover a broad range of conduct and rowdy and inconsiderate behaviour, inappropriate use of vehicles, rubbish and vandalism, graffiti and other deliberate damage, have been identified as key issues amongst residents of Carlisle and Eden.

Anti-social behaviour impacts on individuals, families and communities: it prevents a peaceful community life and degrades the environment

Criminal Damage

Criminal damage refers to crimes where a person intentionally or recklessly destroys or causes damage to another person's property. This can include graffiti, arson, vehicle damage as well as other forms of vandalism. Criminal damage usually affects households, vehicles, commercial premises and public areas.

Although relatively low scale offences in Carlisle and Eden this can cause distress to victims, increasing the fear of crime and cause unsafe environments in which to live. Interventions to make criminal damage harder to commit are used throughout the year, but especially in the summer months when this crime type is more common. Crime Prevention can help reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of criminal damage.

How to report Anti-Social Behaviour?

You can report anti-social behaviour to the following organisations depending on where you live.


  • Eden Housing Association, 01768 861400


  • Riverside Carlisle, 0800 169 3245

Cumbria Constabulary

  • Call 101 non-emergency number to report Anti-social behaviour to the Local Neighbourhood Team.
  • In an emergency call 999

For Further Information

  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith CA11 7QF
  • Telephone: 01768 817817

Was this page helpful?