Useful contacts for Disabled People
Age UK Carlisle and Eden
- Penrith Office: Resource Centre, Sandgate, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7TP
- Appleby Office: Riverside Building, Chapel Street, Appleby, Cumbria CA16 6QR
- Email: email@example.com
- Penrith Office: 01768 863 618
- Appleby Office: 017683 54918
- Advice Hotline: 01228 536673
- Fax: 01768 863 792
- Website: www.ageuk.org.uk/carlisleandeden/
- Description: Carlisle and Eden Age Concern seeks to promote the contributions older people make to society and to promote their interests, by working with and for older people in Carlisle and Eden to help make later life a fulfilling and enjoyable experience.
Adult Social Care
- Address: Adult Social Care, PO Box 224, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 1BP
- Eden West (including Keswick) - 01768 812243 or 01768 812233
- Eden South - 01768 812089 or 01768 812231
- Eden North - 01768 812241 or 01768 812253
- Fax: 01768 812262
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.cumbria.gov.uk/Landing_page/adultsocialcare.asp
- Description: Information on applying for a disabled car badge, applying for social care services and assessing your social care needs. Information and advice on getting help at home, keeping you safe, occupational therapy, residential and nursing home care and carers.
Carlisle and Eden Mind
- Address: Angel Lane, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7BP
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01768 899002
- Website: www.cemind.org/
- Description: Carlisle and Eden Mind believes that no one should have to face a mental health problem alone. They will listen, give you information, support and advice and fight your corner. Carlisle and Eden Mind campaign for a better deal and respect for everyone experiencing a mental health problem.
Carlisle and Eden Districts (Penrith) Citizens Advice Bureau
- Address: 2 Sandgate, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7TP
- Telephone: 01768 891 503
- Fax: 01768 899070
- Opening times: see Citizens Advice Bureau.
- Description: The Penrith Citizens Advice Bureau provides the advice people need for the problems they face. Free, independent, confidential and impartial advice is available to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. They also work to improve the policies and practices that affect people's lives.
Cumbria Cerebral Palsy
- Address: 22 Spencer Street, Carlisle, Cumbria CA1 1BG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01228 527796
- Website: www.cumbriacerebralpalsy.net
- Description: Cumbria Cerebral Palsy is a long established local organisation working with children and adults who have Cerebral Palsy. They offer county-wide outreach work via a team of support workers and a free information service.
- Address: Ground Floor, Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8QG
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone/minicom: 01228 210205
- Fax: 01228 210206
- Website: www.deafvision.co.uk/
- Description: Cumbria-Deaf Vision is an independent local charity that helps deaf, deafened, hard of hearing and Deafblind people and their families to achieve educational, physical, social and spiritual well being. Offering deaf awareness training, interpreter booking, sign language classes, social work services, children's project and care packages.
Cumbria Disability Network
- Address: c/o Equality Cumbria, PO Box 282, Carlisle CA2 6WZ
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0844 4140407 Mobile: 07967 487420
- Website: www.equalitycumbria.org/cumbria-disability-network
- Description: A forum for Cumbria's disability organisations to meet together and share information. Cumbria Disability Network works to support groups of disabled people and to advocate their issues with local government, influencing strategy, policy and service delivery.
Eden Access Forum
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01768 212483
- Webpage: Eden Access Forum
- Social Media: Facebook
- Description: Independent group representing people with disabilities. Meetings are bi-monthly at Mansion House, Penrith and new members (disabled and non-disabled) are always welcome.
Eden District Council
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01768 212483
- Description: For any equality issues relating to the Council's services.
EMS (Eden Mencap Society)
- Address: 20/21 Little Dockray, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7HL
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01768 892014
- Fax: 01768 892021
- Website: edenmencap.org.uk/
- Description: EMS is a local charity which provides supported living and day services with the aim of supporting and promoting independence, social and employable skills. Services specialise in learning disability and autism spectrum disorder.
Eden Sight Support
- Address: 1 Mostyn Hall, Friargate, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7XR
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01768 891724
- Website: www.edensightsupport.org.uk/
- Description: Provides support for vision impaired people who it believes should not be disadvantaged through disability, low income or lack of knowledge and should have access to support through home visits, subsidised and personalised transport and social activities in order to minimise isolation. Also access to training in new skills, and goods and services which will minimise the impact of their visual-impairment.
Penrith & District Multi-Cultural Group
- Address: c/o Eden Rural Foyer, Old London Road, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 8ET
- Telephone: 01768 861650 (Eden Rural Foyer)
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 01768 861650
- Description: A friendly network group providing friendship, support and information to people who arrive to live and work in Cumbria. The group also organises social events for the community.
Action on Hearing Loss
- Address: 19-23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free helpline: 0808 808 0123
- Textphone: 0808 808 9000
- SMS: 0780 0000 360
- Website: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/
- Description: Action on Hearing Loss wants a world where hearing loss doesn't limit or label people, where tinnitus is silenced and where people value and look after their hearing.
British Dyslexia Association
- Address: Unit 8 Bracknell Beeches, Old Bracknell Lane, Bracknell RG12 7BW
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: Helpline 0333 405 4567
- Website: www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
- Description: Our vision is that of a dyslexia friendly society that enables dyslexic people of all ages to reach their full potential.
DLF (Disabled Living Foundation Information Service)
- Address: Disabled Living Foundation, Ground Floor, Landmark House, Hammersmith Bridge Road, London W6 9EJ
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpline: 0300 999 0004
- Telephone: 020 7289 6111
- Website: www.dlf.org.uk/
- Description: DLF is a national charity providing impartial advice, information and training on independent living.
Disability Rights UK
- Address: Ground Floor, CAN Mezzanine 49-51 East Road, London N1 6AH
- Email: email@example.com
- Independent living advice line: 0300 555 1525
- Office Telephone: 020 7250 8181
- Website: www.disabilityrightsuk.org
- Description: Disability Rights UK works to create a society where everyone with lived experience of disability or health conditions can participate equally as full citizens.
- Address: ME Association, 7 Apollo Office Court, Radclive Road, Gawcott, Bucks MK18 4DF
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ME Connect Helpline: 0844 576 5326
- Website: www.meassociation.org.uk/
- Description: We provide information, support and practical advice for people who are affected by ME/CFS/PVFS (Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome), their families and carers. We also fund and support research, and offer education and training.
The Partially Sighted Society
- Address: 1 Bennetthorpe, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN2 6AA
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0844 477 4966
- Fax: 0844 477 4969
- Website: www.partsight.org.uk/
- Description: The Partially Sighted Society provides information, advice, equipment and clear print material for people with a visual impairment to help them to make the best use of their remaining sight. The Society can call on the skills of ophthalmologists, optometrists, lighting and rehabilitation specialists.
RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind)
- Address: 105 Judd Street, London WC1H 9NE
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpline: 0303 123 9999
- Social Media: RNIB Facebook and RNIB Twitter
- Website: www.rnib.org.uk
- Description: Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is the UK's leading charity offering information, support and advice to almost two million people with sight loss.
- Address: 88 Old Street, London EC1V 9HU
- Email: email@example.com
- Free housing advice helpline: 0808 800 4444
- Reception Telephone: 0344 515 2000
- Website: england.shelter.org.uk/
- Description: Advice on homelessness, mortgage or rent problems, disrepair, security of tenure, landlord/tenant disputes, illegal evictions, housing benefit, tenancy problems.